Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You know... that guy that you almost pity.  (Read 22043 times)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
You know... that guy that you almost pity.
« on: June 14, 2007, 08:20:20 PM »
So I had about 10 minutes to burn when I got to the test center on Monday and I sat next to this guy and we made some small talk.  I asked him how much studying he did and he said...

HIM:  "I just read a book on how to setup the games.  God I hate the games.  The nice thing about the LSAT is that you don't have to study for it though except for the games." 

ME:  "So you didn't do any studying besides the game?"

HIM:  "No, did you?"

ME:  "Uhh... no....  good luck."

I didn't want to wreck his nerves just before taking the test.  Yes idiot, you are supposed to study EVERY section and practice EVERY section like a gazillion times before taking the test if you are serious about law school. 

Anyone have any similar stories of LSAT-takers that you almost pity because they will be lucky if they even get admitted into Cooley?
_______
.|E|R|S.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: You know... that guy that you almost pity.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 08:22:27 PM »
After the proctor read the instructions, a guy in the back asked if there was a penalty for guessing and "How many sections did you say there were?"

I gathered he didn't do a whole lot of serious prep.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 08:24:42 PM »
After the proctor read the instructions, a guy in the back asked if there was a penalty for guessing and "How many sections did you say there were?"

I gathered he didn't do a whole lot of serious prep.

LOL. 

Actually now that you mention it, the guy I sat next to thought there were only 4 sections and one of them was experimental. 

Wah-wah. 
_______
.|E|R|S.

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 08:19:12 AM »
After the test, but before the writing sample, the girl next to me frantically whispered "Did you take a prep course?"  ???  Me: "Er, no."  Her: "You finished every section early." :-[  Me: Uncomfortable silence. Her: "How'd you study?"  ::)

All I could think was, "Maybe you'd be better off worrying about yourself and not me. I studied the only way I knew how, and just because I finished early it doesn't mean anything."

Vapid Unicorn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who, me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 08:29:03 AM »
Yes idiot, you are supposed to study EVERY section and practice EVERY section like a gazillion times before taking the test if you are serious about law school. 

Anyone have any similar stories of LSAT-takers that you almost pity because they will be lucky if they even get admitted into Cooley?

I think the condescension is really uneccessary.  There are plenty of people who are serious about law school, but who don't need to practice or study every section (some who don't need to practice or study at all).  For all you know this kid could have been scoring in the low 170s and was just trying to beef up his games skills to help his odds at YHS.  I know quite a few people here at Michigan, myself included, who never opened a prep book, took a prep course, or did more than a handful of practice exams. 
Just another 2L.

HerrHegel

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 08:44:21 AM »
Yes idiot, you are supposed to study EVERY section and practice EVERY section like a gazillion times before taking the test if you are serious about law school. 

I think the condescension is really uneccessary.  There are plenty of people who are serious about law school, but who don't need to practice or study every section (some who don't need to practice or study at all).  For all you know this kid could have been scoring in the low 170s and was just trying to beef up his games skills to help his odds at YHS.  I know quite a few people here at Michigan, myself included, who never opened a prep book, took a prep course, or did more than a handful of practice exams. 

Good call. My undergraduate major was very rigorous in terms of logic and such. Combine that with the fact I am an avid reader of science and other nonfiction works, and you have a recipe for success on the LSAT. I did three practice tests; the scores were consistent (and pretty good). I browsed a prep book at B&N, read some of the stuff they wrote for LR, and just laughed at it. But then again, that's just me.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:35:35 AM »

Still not a good idea, though.  Whatever people's natural talent, or where they end up (except HYS), if they had prepped more they could have gotten into even better schools, and/or gotten more scholarship money at their current school. 

On the other hand, I would never mock someone who's just generally clueless.  Sometimes that's hard to help, and at least they're extendin themselves.  Maybe they'll learn more down the road.

(I know some great attorneys who blew off prepping for the LSAT, did average, went to so-so schools, but emerged as highly capable attorneys.)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 10:59:23 AM »

You don't understand the context.  First of all, he indicated that he did NO prepping.  None.  And he didn't know the number of sections there would be (he thought there were 4 sections one of which were experimental).  Also he went to a community college.  Plus we were in South Dakota... not that many geniuses in South Dakota.  There were 14 people in the class and I was scoring in the 170s so statistically speaking I should be the only one who even scored in the 160s+. 
_______
.|E|R|S.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 11:53:35 AM »

Very true.

You don't understand the context.  First of all, he indicated that he did NO prepping.  None.  And he didn't know the number of sections there would be (he thought there were 4 sections one of which were experimental).  Also he went to a community college.  Plus we were in South Dakota... not that many geniuses in South Dakota.  There were 14 people in the class and I was scoring in the 170s so statistically speaking I should be the only one who even scored in the 160s+. 

Get over yourself.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 12:26:36 PM »

Very true.

Note:  One could argue that it's much more fair to mock someone who does this, given their actual potential, than someone who's just completely clueless.