Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do you report test-taking irregularities and is it worthwile to do so?  (Read 4923 times)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
During the essay section someone's cell phone went off and between the phone ringing, the kid shuffling for the phone, the proctor dismissing him, then saying hold on and talking it over with the other proctor, and then dismissing him again and getting into a short debate with him I would say I lost about 2 minutes on the essay.  I know there is some way to report to LSAC that there was an irregularity but how do I do this?  (I already looked on the LSAC site and couldnt find where). 

Also would it be to my benefit at all?  I would do this in hopes that when (and if) the school looks at my essay they will know that I was shorted precious preparation time.  So do these "reports" go to the schools w/ my LSAT score or do they just get filed away in some creepy basement?
_______
.|E|R|S.

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I had to wait 25 minutes doing nothing during the essay section, so you should be grateful.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
I had to wait 25 minutes doing nothing during the essay section, so you should be grateful.

Wah?  Why?
_______
.|E|R|S.

yum, sheep

• View Profile
During the essay section someone's cell phone went off and between the phone ringing, the kid shuffling for the phone, the proctor dismissing him, then saying hold on and talking it over with the other proctor, and then dismissing him again and getting into a short debate with him I would say I lost about 2 minutes on the essay.  I know there is some way to report to LSAC that there was an irregularity but how do I do this?  (I already looked on the LSAC site and couldnt find where). 

Also would it be to my benefit at all?  I would do this in hopes that when (and if) the school looks at my essay they will know that I was shorted precious preparation time.  So do these "reports" go to the schools w/ my LSAT score or do they just get filed away in some creepy basement?

You know what...almost every post that I have seen from you, you are complaining/whining about something or trying to come of as better than someone.  Just lighten up, you seem to be well on your way to "gunner" status.  I dont see how a few minutes could hurt your essay.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
You know what...almost every post that I have seen from you, you are complaining/whining about something or trying to come of as better than someone.  Just lighten up, you seem to be well on your way to "gunner" status.  I dont see how a few minutes could hurt your essay.

Whoa... chill out man.  No need to get worked up.  For all you know I am a 14 year old kid who is just egging people on.

But seriously, are you referring to like what... that thread that I put up in the LSAT horror stories about the guy who didnt do any prepping that I said I felt sorry for?  Plus the occasional remark that someone will have to "apply to Cooley" because of some ridiculous technicality that I invented.  It's called humor.  And if I come off as condescending to you then whatever.  It's because you need to chill out.

Here's a tip.  It's called strategy.  With hundreds or thousands of people applying to schools like U of Minnesota or U of Boston (schools that I want to get into) there are bound to be many many people who are rejected who could've been accepted if not for some small technicality on their application.  Perhaps a more polished personal statement would've gotten someone in.  Etc.  You get the point.  So if there's one thing I can do on my LSAT a la reporting a distrubance during the essay section that might give me a little more credit with the universities I am applying to then you better believe I am going to look into it.  It's called strategy.  Figure it out.

Oh, and I have a paper cut.  *whine*

/snark
_______
.|E|R|S.

whitesupremacist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
also the essay means nothing so go get a life and forget about it

yum, sheep

• View Profile

A lot of times people attempt to be sarcastic, but when that is the only means one seems to have at communicating then well...I think you get it.  So if you want the edge on the most simplistic writing measure ever concieved for a professional school entrance exam so be it. I mean its just strategery.  Plus as stated many times (No one will ever see it!)

On another note, your "occasional" remark on Cooley tends to happen more than you think, if you look at your posts. No I am not whining about your Cooley remarks, but you brought that up.  Good luck with you endeavours I am sure you will be remembered fondly by all.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Yes dude, totally report it. Tell them you want this kid forever banned from taking the LSAT so he does not compete with you for admission.

Then, when you get to school join your schools Honor Board, that way you can have a hand in expelling anyone for the smallest of infractions. This will help your strategy you talk of, as you can kick people out who are ranked higher than you.

Be sure to report any variations during the bar exam, you donít want anyone passing and being a lawyer you might compete with.

Get a job as a prosecutor for your state bar association, that way you can bring changes against attorneys for Model Rule of Professional Conduct violation and have their license to practice pulled.

Eventually you will create a large enough vacuum in the legal community that you can have any job you want. People, while despising you, will be so scared of you that you can have thier job. Till one day your own Brutus comes along and knocks you out of the way.

So what if karma means you will eventually be found in a cheap hotel room dressed as a nun with a transvestite hooker doing blow with your clientís trust fund money. At least you will have had a good run to the top.

Seriously, I would not put this in your PS, you will come off to adcoms just as you do to people in this thread, as making excuses instead of playing the cards your dealt. It was a phone call, its not like someone cheated. Accidents happen, unfortunately they happened to you, deal with it. If you think it hurt your score, retake.

I think you entirely missed the point here that I was just trying to defend myself, not prosecute someone else.  I dont even know the kid's name!  And he was already expelled from the test. 

also the essay means nothing so go get a life and forget about it

Thanks thats all the advice I wanted.  There is a consensus that the essay is nearly meaningless.  Point taken and absorbed.

A lot of times people attempt to be sarcastic, but when that is the only means one seems to have at communicating then well...I think you get it.  So if you want the edge on the most simplistic writing measure ever concieved for a professional school entrance exam so be it. I mean its just strategery.  Plus as stated many times (No one will ever see it!)

On another note, your "occasional" remark on Cooley tends to happen more than you think, if you look at your posts. No I am not whining about your Cooley remarks, but you brought that up.  Good luck with you endeavours I am sure you will be remembered fondly by all.

Oh yeah I'm sure its my ONLY means of communicating.  I dont know how to say anything that's not sarcastic.  No.  It's not like you're obsessed with exaggeration or anything.  And yeah my Cooley remarks are funny... if you don't find them humorous then you are not the audience I am targeting with my humor.  Honestly if just one person finds my remark funny and as long as the remark does not cause me harm then it is a worthwhile remark in my opinion.  That is a valued principle and you cannot debate it so don't even try.
_______
.|E|R|S.

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
That is a valued principle and you cannot debate it so don't even try.
you're gonna make a great lawyer
Michigan '11

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Here is the deal, I have nothing against you, and am just posting this in hopes of explaining why some people think you come off as a class A jerk (although I donít think you mean too).

There is this thing called Karma. Maybe you believe in it, maybe you donít.

Recently there was a big story about an Evangelical preacher, he was the president of the Evangelical Society of the US, he ran a 14,000 member church and had been instrumental in getting same sex marriage banned in many states. He was, by all accounts, a great speaker, especially when railing against the sins and immorality of homosexuality, his wife and five beautiful children all by his side during these impassioned Sunday morning speeches. Well turns out he had been having a gay affair with a male prostitute and smoking meth for the last five years or so. So some would say he got what he deserved for being such an outspoken ahole. But it was his own hypocorism and judgmental comments that really did him in, people where happy to see him get what they think he deserved.

Now what does that have to do with you? Hopefully nothing. But you seem quick to judge others, to belittle others, to say people are headed for Cooley or other such schools. Yet you donít know your own LSAT score. You have not been admitted to any schools, and you have no idea where you will land rank wise once you get there. I found your LSAT prep post humorous. But not because of what you said. I know a guy who to the LSAT cold, on a whim, and scored a 174. That guy is number 1 in my class. I also know a guy who prepped for six months, got a 170, and went to our school for free. He lost his scholarship after 1L, he is brining up the bottom of the class. If there is any predictiveness to the LSAT, I think it is that those who take it cold scoreís are more realistic indicators of success than of those who have to prep hard to get to the same point.

Will this happen to you? Gosh I hope not. I hope you did well on the LSAT, and I hope you do well in law school. But you just donít know any of that yet. You could have bombed the exam for all we know. It happens. The point is confidence in yourself is a good thing, cockiness is not. Nobody likes to see another fail, and if things donít work out the way you hopped, people here can give you advice, if they think you deserve it. However, if youíre a self-righteous a$$ and things donít turn out as you hope, then many people will be glad you failed, and say it could not have happened to a more deserving guy.

I guess what I am saying is if I was in your position I would not be so quick to pass judgment on other people, using humor or not, until I knew for sure I had the goods to do so. Karma is out there, waiting to make you look like a fool, donít give it any more ammunition than you really need too. 

Point taken.  I suppose this all hinges on  humor.  I enjoy humor whether it pokes fun of other people or myself.  In fact I love a good joke at my own expense (I make them all the time with my friends).  Does it come off as condescending?  Yes... but the point is the guy will never know and for all you know I made it up.  And this criticism is largely based on that thread I started as a place to talk about people that "you almost pity" presumably because they didn't put the prep work in or they had some sort of nervous breakdown.  The fact is that our culture LOVES to be entertained by the flaws in others.  If you don't believe turn on your television during prime time and watch reality television.  How is my entertainment at the guy-who-didnt-study any different from my entertainment at watching a television show like "Cheaters" in which relationships are destroyed due to a private investigator unearthing evidence of one partner cheating in a relationship?  Its the same reason that we turn our heads when we drive by a car accident. 

As far as Karma goes, I whole heartidly believe in (and usually practice) it.  It's why I'm a vegetarian and why I vote for Democrats who offer some social justice in a system that usually favors the rich.  But as far as I'm concerned, Karma only "kicks in" when suffering occurs as a result of an action.  So the guy who inspired my "guy you almost pity thread" isn't suffering because of my comments.  Furthermore, if someone was suffering due to one of my Cooley jokes, I would argue that they should "get" the humor since it is almost always drenched in sarcasm and exaggeration and if they are so hypersensative that they dont "get" the humor then I should be excused from any suffering that is incurred.  That principle is similar to a 18 year old who dies his hair blue and makes him mom "suffer" because she wants him to be normal.  It is not the kids fault for performing the action, the suffering is the mother's fault for being hypersensative. 

Which principle would allow the conclusion to be properly drawn?
a) Monkeys like bananas
b) No humorous comment should be taken seriously because Karma excuses the suffering that is incurred
c) All humorous comments cause harm unless they are not intended to in which case Karma does not "kick in"
d) Intent is all that matters when determining whether Karma "kicks in"
e) If a comment is not intended to cause harm and is drenched in sarcasm and exaggeration then the speaker of the comment should not be held liable for Karma if any suffering occurs
_______
.|E|R|S.