Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP PLEASE*  (Read 537 times)

MadameHeart

• View Profile
HELP PLEASE*
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:55:32 PM »
Hi :-)

I have graduated from highschool, soo now I am to decide what to take in college. ( oh joy ) I have came across the Legal Office Assisant program at a local college & found it quite interesting. I have no legal background in law but however am quite well in English, using the computer and do not feel I would have a problem learning the knowledge needed to be a Legal Assisant.

My question is to those more familiar with the background.. Is this a good decision to make? A young person with no legal background taking this program? I am self-motivated and do not feel I'd have a problem.

ALSO, it is  a Certificate program.( 1 Year) ( I know how controversial the topic is about legal assistants preparing for a career through a certificate/online education ) However, I believe the college offers a placement upon completion of the course. I am aware that some Legal Assistants have degrees from Universities for this career. It is sad to say that I did not prepare for a University education, so it not an option for me.

SOO, to those wonderful people who took the time to hear out my dilemma, what are your thoughts? please write back! Thank you so much for your input. :-)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: HELP PLEASE*
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:18:22 PM »
so, this board is for people hoping to go to law school ... do you hope to go to law school?  because if so you need to get a bachelors degree from a traditional 4-year college or university. 
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

MadameHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 09:40:56 PM »
No I do not plan on going to law school. I am sorry-- I wasn't aware there was such limits/red tape on these forums?? I just assumed that that due to a Legal Assistant being in the legal field, it would be okay to post on Law School Forums regardless of not attending Law School. I assumed wrong?? Sorry about that! :-)

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:52:03 PM »
I think you will be fine. Good luck
UMiami c/o 2010

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 10:04:39 PM »
Plenty of people who graduate high school have no legal experience.  If you want to work as a legal assistant or paralegal, a 1-year certificate program could be helpful, but an associates degree or bachelors degree would be better.  Better to have the certificate than nothing else.

Some employers require a certificate program for paralegals, others don't.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 11:17:28 PM »
This folder of the board is probably most applicable, but it gets little traffic. 
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/board,14.0.html

MadameHeart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 06:08:17 PM »
Thank's for all the input :-) It is a very big help!