Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone here work out?  (Read 5804 times)

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone here work out?
« on: June 14, 2007, 01:03:18 AM »
I have been lifting/running for almost 4.5 years now and it's my favorite thing to do. Plus girls seem to like it  ;D   ;D Does anyone else here workout?

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here work out?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 01:13:12 AM »
J has his little fitness thread around here somewhere, but yeah I try to lift or run everyday.  I'm trying to shed some fat right now.  It is hard because I'm used to eating so much. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 01:16:44 AM »
J has his little fitness thread around here somewhere, but yeah I try to lift or run everyday.  I'm trying to shed some fat right now.  It is hard because I'm used to eating so much. 

well right now im trying a new thing where I eat whatever i want, but do a crazy amount of cardio each week (5-6x a week), and i seem to still be losing more fat.  You really need to cut down on the eating though, or just switch to eating healthier foods and eat the same amount. Eating better makes a huge difference, you could probably not lift or run at all but just change your diet and notice a huge difference.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 01:26:14 AM »
I agree--it's just hard though because of time/money limitations.  I run maybe 5 times per week for around 3 or 4 miles each time.  In order to lose fat, I'll either have to start running more or eating less.  Harder than it sounds though...
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 01:56:50 AM »
I agree--it's just hard though because of time/money limitations.  I run maybe 5 times per week for around 3 or 4 miles each time.  In order to lose fat, I'll either have to start running more or eating less.  Harder than it sounds though...

Have you ever heard of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)? Basically, you walk/jog slowly for 60 seconds, then all out sprint for 20-30 seconds. You repeat these for 15 minutes and it burns an insane amount of fat, and you only have to do it for 10-15 minutes. I try to do this 1-2x per week, but it is incredibly hard.  It is the absolute best form of cardio to do by far for fat loss, and it takes like no time.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 02:00:05 AM »

Have you ever heard of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)? Basically, you walk/jog slowly for 60 seconds, then all out sprint for 20-30 seconds. You repeat these for 15 minutes and it burns an insane amount of fat, and you only have to do it for 10-15 minutes. I try to do this 1-2x per week, but it is incredibly hard.  It is the absolute best form of cardio to do by far for fat loss, and it takes like no time.

Why does it burn more fat than just running for the same amount of time?
CLS '10

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 02:08:02 AM »

Why does it burn more fat than just running for the same amount of time?

im not sure the scientific reason, but it has something to do with the increased heart rate you get from doing the sprinting. High intensity cardio burns a TON of calories, but if you do it for too long it becomes catabolic and starts burning up muscle. that is why marathon runners you may see are very cut looking, but have almost no muscle. If you do HIIT, you get the benefits of an increased heartrate from high intensity cardio, but by doing it in spurts of 30 seconds and then letting your heart rate go back down, it isn't catabolic. It's supposed to be really good if you are trying to keep muscle but just lose fat. Doing high intenstity normally isn't good for fat loss, just cardiovascular reasons. So if you are running like 7 minute miles for your cardio, it's not burning up as much fat as you think. The best thing to do for fat loss is a long amount of low intensity cardio, like 45 minutes of it, or doing HIIT or sprints.  So basically you are gonna want to try to work up a big sweat, but not get too out of breath.  Most people don't know that back breaking cardio is not the way to lose fat, and the best way is either HIIT or long amounts of low intensity cardio

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 02:11:01 AM »
Interesting; I'll give it a try. 
CLS '10

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 02:25:13 AM »
Interesting; I'll give it a try. 

it is not fun at all, it is pretty much torture. But you need to keep at it for at least 10 minutes. It only works if you are giving your maximum at it. If you don't feel like you are about to fall over and die when you are done, then you did not do it right  :-\

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 09:27:05 AM »

well right now im trying a new thing where I eat whatever i want, but do a crazy amount of cardio each week (5-6x a week), and i seem to still be losing more fat.  You really need to cut down on the eating though, or just switch to eating healthier foods and eat the same amount. Eating better makes a huge difference, you could probably not lift or run at all but just change your diet and notice a huge difference.

I do this too! Life is too short to be on a diet. I enjoy my food (I'm a vegetarian and eat pretty healty, but also have no issues with indulging in meals out and dessert), and work out 5 times a week. It's definitely worked for me- I'm one of the few girls from my town who still weighs the same as I did in high school and didn't pack on the pounds in college!

The key is to find something active that you enjoy, and not to get stuck in a routine rut cause you'll burn out and stop exercising. I try to switch it up with biking, hiking, the standard stuff at the gym, swimming and lifting.