Law School Discussion

Strange Topic of Tattoos

IF

• View Profile
Strange Topic of Tattoos
« on: June 13, 2007, 07:35:44 PM »
Ok, so from a social standpoint I'm curious.  For generations it was socially unacceptable for people to have tattoos in America; not that it didn't exist in the "upper-ranks" of society, but it was largely hidden.

Nowdays many of our generation have tattoos.  I don't have any data, but I highly suspect that our numbers are higher (in both percentages and sheer numbers) than most other generations (if not all).  Being part of what has been traditionally been a professional vocation in America, what affect, if any, do you suspect our generation will have on general workplace norms?  Especially if the tattoo is in a visible location and not easily hidden (like a piercing).

Just curious.

Re: Strange Topic of Tattoos
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:01:51 PM »
ha ha, i just got my first tattoo last Fri...being that law school is on the horizon, i got it in a discreet place....but i've worked in two big time hospitals and i have see docs with visible tats (one lady had them on her foot)

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 08:18:43 PM »
I personally sharply disagree with tattoos, however, I would hope that with proper professional attire, that tattoos would not be that much of an issue. 

Guys or ladies, if you got that sleve back in UG, that's what they have long-sleeve shirts for.  For ladies, if you got that awesome dolphin down the leg, there's always pants.

IF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 09:05:26 PM »

ha ha, i just got my first tattoo last Fri...being that law school is on the horizon, i got it in a discreet place....but i've worked in two big time hospitals and i have see docs with visible tats (one lady had them on her foot)

Interesting...any strange looks at the docs?

I personally sharply disagree with tattoos, however, I would hope that with proper professional attire, that tattoos would not be that much of an issue. 

Guys or ladies, if you got that sleve back in UG, that's what they have long-sleeve shirts for.  For ladies, if you got that awesome dolphin down the leg, there's always pants.

Sure, but what about if a guy had one on his hand or neck?  Or if a girl had one on her calf or ankle?  She most likely wouldn't wear pants or long skirts every day of her professional life?  Or maybe she would (don't really know).

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 09:11:34 PM »

Interesting...any strange looks at the docs?

Nope

Sure, but what about if a guy had one on his hand or neck?  Or if a girl had one on her calf or ankle?  She most likely wouldn't wear pants or long skirts every day of her professional life?  Or maybe she would (don't really know).

The tat I got is on my ankle (the inside)...I don't forsee this to be a prob bc a) it's pretty small and b)i hate skirts and always wear pants

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 05:38:23 AM »
Workplace norms are not gonna change at law firms for a while.  It's one of, if not the most conservative profession, and the supply of workers for the best jobs still far exceeds demand.  So if you want to get a job at a high paying firm, a tattoo or piercing other than a woman's ears will put you at something of a disadvantage.

I read though that a huge shortage of workers is coming up as the baby boomers begin retiring in droves.  So don't be surprised if it seems that norms go through a radical shift seemingly overnight.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 05:43:00 AM »
at least 30% of my 1L class has a tatt.  lots of the girls have them on the foot or ankle, in a visible location.  most of the guys, like myself, have them on the back or shoulder blade.

funny, i got my first one during 1L year too.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 05:49:37 AM »
As tacojohn said, law firms are pretty conservative.  I'm sure visible tattoos are frowned on, though I don't know what type of impact one would have.  I know that my mom sometimes complains about her employees with tats or piercings (which aren't allowed at all; it's included in the code of conduct).  I'm sure if they could get people to remove their tattoos, they'd include that in the code of conduct too!  For many people (including me to a certain extent), visible tattoos just aren't professional.  I'd liken it to jewelry.  If you have one, it should be discreet and tasteful.

Otoh, medicine is prolly one of the most forgiving professions.  Look at em, they wear scrubs all day!  :P

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 05:51:39 AM »
As tacojohn said, law firms are pretty conservative.  I'm sure visible tattoos are frowned on, though I don't know what type of impact one would have.  I know that my mom sometimes complains about her employees with tats or piercings (which aren't allowed at all; it's included in the code of conduct).  I'm sure if they could get people to remove their tattoos, they'd include that in the code of conduct too!  For many people (including me to a certain extent), visible tattoos just aren't professional.  I'd liken it to jewelry.  If you have one, it should be discreet and tasteful.

Otoh, medicine is prolly one of the most forgiving professions.  Look at em, they wear scrubs all day!  :P

thus my strategic placement  ;)

believe i thought long and hard about my tat for years b4 i got it, knowing that i have no talent and cannot become a singer so that my tats wouldn't matter ( :D)...but yea...use common sense and be discreet.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 05:55:22 AM »

thus my strategic placement  ;)

believe i thought long and hard about my tat for years b4 i got it, knowing that i have no talent and cannot become a singer so that my tats wouldn't matter ( :D)...but yea...use common sense and be discreet.

My sister has a tramp stamp (she laughed when I told her that one).  Not ideal location in terms of originality (though there's only so many places on the human body where one can place a tattoo), but at least you can't see it when she's dressed!