Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How important are connections/networking in the legal industry?  (Read 1877 times)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How important are connections/networking in the legal industry?
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2007, 05:12:25 PM »
There will be people there smarter than you. Some people at my school are scary smart. Smart enough to go to Yale, but because of personal reasons they need to stay in Denver. Probably be the same at your school. There will also be people who prepped intently for the LSAT, but dont really have the natural kills to get it in law school.

The curve will also affect you. Thus its NEVER a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket (OCI). Your networking contacts, if done right, will be a good safety net and will get you interviews you never would have gotten from OCI (because less than 25% of the available legal jobs are actually advertised, the rest are word of mouth). Just do the best you can grade wise, and network effectively and either way you will have decent options. 

that's the one thing I have, drive. I may not naturally be a genius, but ever since a young age i've told myself that I will never settle for an average life, and that keeps me going. I may not be the smartest person in the room at all times, but I am certainly one of the most dedicated and hard working around in my opinion. Im hoping that will count for something? 

It doesn't. Unfortunately the 1L teaching/assessment style doesn't work for everyone. I work my ass off, but because I have test anxiety issues, I don't do as well as I could in other types of classes. I have other friends with the same issues who are very proactive about trying to get good grades to no avail.

Well I disagree w/ the Queen to some degree, your hard work will pay off. Will it pay off in straight As, no not likely. The thing I have found in law school is you need to figure out quickly what types of exams you do well on, and where you struggle.

I am straight As in paper courses, so I will take a paper course over any other type of course if I can. Ill even take a paper course if I have no interest in the subject what so ever. I am a slow typer + dyslexic, so I try my best to avoid in class exams. You wont have much choice on what type of exam you will have in 1L, but after that you can usually pick and choose between classes if you can find out what type of exam they have.

The hard work and dedication will come into play more on the things you do outside of class. Networking, writing LR articles if you can, leadership stuff around school etc.

All I am saying is that in 1L you get one type of class for the most part. In 2L/3L you can choose class styles that work better for you, which I plan on doing because the lecture-style, in-class exam classes do not work at all for me. It does not matter how hard I work outside of class because I simply don't do well on in-class exams and haven't since I was a teenager.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 06:41:19 PM »
There will be people there smarter than you. Some people at my school are scary smart. Smart enough to go to Yale, but because of personal reasons they need to stay in Denver. Probably be the same at your school. There will also be people who prepped intently for the LSAT, but dont really have the natural kills to get it in law school.

The curve will also affect you. Thus its NEVER a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket (OCI). Your networking contacts, if done right, will be a good safety net and will get you interviews you never would have gotten from OCI (because less than 25% of the available legal jobs are actually advertised, the rest are word of mouth). Just do the best you can grade wise, and network effectively and either way you will have decent options. 

that's the one thing I have, drive. I may not naturally be a genius, but ever since a young age i've told myself that I will never settle for an average life, and that keeps me going. I may not be the smartest person in the room at all times, but I am certainly one of the most dedicated and hard working around in my opinion. Im hoping that will count for something? 

It doesn't. Unfortunately the 1L teaching/assessment style doesn't work for everyone. I work my ass off, but because I have test anxiety issues, I don't do as well as I could in other types of classes. I have other friends with the same issues who are very proactive about trying to get good grades to no avail.

Well I disagree w/ the Queen to some degree, your hard work will pay off. Will it pay off in straight As, no not likely. The thing I have found in law school is you need to figure out quickly what types of exams you do well on, and where you struggle.

I am straight As in paper courses, so I will take a paper course over any other type of course if I can. Ill even take a paper course if I have no interest in the subject what so ever. I am a slow typer + dyslexic, so I try my best to avoid in class exams. You wont have much choice on what type of exam you will have in 1L, but after that you can usually pick and choose between classes if you can find out what type of exam they have.

The hard work and dedication will come into play more on the things you do outside of class. Networking, writing LR articles if you can, leadership stuff around school etc.

All I am saying is that in 1L you get one type of class for the most part. In 2L/3L you can choose class styles that work better for you, which I plan on doing because the lecture-style, in-class exam classes do not work at all for me. It does not matter how hard I work outside of class because I simply don't do well on in-class exams and haven't since I was a teenager.

Yea, but the point is you DID work hard, so you got better grades than if you, therotrically, did not work hard, right? So hard work does pay off, maybe not in all A's, but better than no work. Sure some people can do no work and get A's, but not many. 2L is a bit more easy in that you can pick your classes, so that will help.

Ehh, I don't think so. My test anxiety is just as much in the studying phase as in the exam and the harder I work, the worse the anxiety gets. If I didn't study at all, I'd probably get the same results because I wouldn't be working myself up into a panic before the exam. I just think I have a plateau for that type of class and nothing I do is really going to change that.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2007, 12:40:10 AM »
Where does the anxiety come from though on these tests? Don't you know what you are going to be tested on before you go in, so you can just study the material and cram it into your head until you know it well?

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2007, 08:28:20 AM »
Where does the anxiety come from though on these tests? Don't you know what you are going to be tested on before you go in, so you can just study the material and cram it into your head until you know it well?

Clearly you don't get test anxiety. I study the material just as much as everyone else, but it doesn't help because the anxiety keeps me from performing up to my potential on the exams. The only way for me to get around it is to take classes that use papers instead of exams.

the Greatest

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2007, 10:07:20 AM »
Dude, I think everyone gets anxiety before and during a test. Kinda like suckas before they get in the ring with me. You don't hear them blaming the anxiety for getting beat down by the Greatest. Either get over it, or go come up with new official syndrome with a cool acronym for it.
When you are as great as I am it is hard to be humble.

I'm not the greatest; I'm the double greatest. Not only do I knock 'em out, I pick the round.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2007, 10:13:38 AM »
Dude, I think everyone gets anxiety before and during a test. Kinda like suckas before they get in the ring with me. You don't hear them blaming the anxiety for getting beat down by the Greatest. Either get over it, or go come up with new official syndrome with a cool acronym for it.

I've had the problem all my life and have always underperformed on tests. Some people do get it a lot worse than others. All I am saying is that for me it doesn't matter how much I study, so I try to pick classes that have essays instead.

the Greatest

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2007, 10:25:16 AM »
So no cool acronym?

Bigger letdown than my first fight against Frazier.
When you are as great as I am it is hard to be humble.

I'm not the greatest; I'm the double greatest. Not only do I knock 'em out, I pick the round.