Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How important are connections/networking in the legal industry?  (Read 1870 times)

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
So I'm going to U of Miami in the fall, and I understand that in order to get into corporate law, I'm gonna have to be damn near top 10% of my class. But as of now, I know a women through my father who is a big business player in the city of Miami, and knows about 3/4 of the lawyers in Miami, mostly business ones.  Do you think if I can network through her and pull my cards right, that I could land a corporate law job without that top 10%, or is the legal industry more focused on grades and school prestige than networking aka knowing people? 

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How important are connections/networking in the legal industry?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 10:18:53 PM »
Of course you can. Nepotism can get you any job you want, but that'll be a pretty big favor on her part.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:24:46 PM »
Of course you can. Nepotism can get you any job you want, but that'll be a pretty big favor on her part.

she's not just gonna throw jobs at me, she said she would introduce me to her friends, and all her friends are Miami lawyers, so I'd have to make it happen myself. But I figure if I meet like 20 lawyers, all it takes is one that is interested in me and likes me, to take it farther than a 1st time introduction. 

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 10:30:04 PM »
It might make getting a job easier, but you should still get the grades to help yourself, or have a good personality/interviewing skills. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 10:32:13 PM »
It might make getting a job easier, but you should still get the grades to help yourself, or have a good personality/interviewing skills. 

well I'm still dedicating my life towards suceeding in law school, but I am always looking for more ways to supplement myself at reaching success in the legal field.  I personally think I am great at interviews and speaking. As long as I am prepared, I can talk fine to anyone even if I just meet them. I don't really get nervous at interviews at all so I guess that might help me?

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 10:34:08 PM »

well I'm still dedicating my life towards suceeding in law school, but I am always looking for more ways to supplement myself at reaching success in the legal field.  I personally think I am great at interviews and speaking. As long as I am prepared, I can talk fine to anyone even if I just meet them. I don't really get nervous at interviews at all so I guess that might help me?

Yeah--I mean, if you had decent grades, plus good interviewing skills, plus good connections, you'd be in better shape than if you just had decent grades and good interviewing skills.  Did you really need to be told that though?
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 10:39:21 PM »

she's not just gonna throw jobs at me, she said she would introduce me to her friends, and all her friends are Miami lawyers, so I'd have to make it happen myself. But I figure if I meet like 20 lawyers, all it takes is one that is interested in me and likes me, to take it farther than a 1st time introduction. 

So basically she'll just get you screening interviews? She'll need to do more than that if you want a callback, and an actual offer.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 10:40:24 PM »

Yeah--I mean, if you had decent grades, plus good interviewing skills, plus good connections, you'd be in better shape than if you just had decent grades and good interviewing skills.  Did you really need to be told that though?
well I felt it did need to be asked because a lot of these firms seem to only recruit from the top 10% at schools like mine, and I wasn't sure if this was a strict cutoff for everyone regardless, or if it could be bent due to certain circumstances like me knowing someone well at the firm I am trying to get a job at.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 10:41:49 PM »

So basically she'll just get you screening interviews? She'll need to do more than that if you want a callback, and an actual offer.

i dont even know what she could get me, but honestly i'll take what I can get.  Most people going to law school don't know anyone, and I happen to know a woman who knows almost all the major lawyers in Miami. I'm considering myself lucky, and I will gladly take anything I can get, even it is just introducing me to a bunch of local lawyers. And odds are, a lot of these lawyers are going to be alumni of my future school, so I am instantly going to have a connection with a lot of them and have a great subject to talk about with them.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 10:42:09 PM »
I'm sure it could be bent.  But again, just getting an interview means nothing.  
CLS '10