Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asking about scholarships  (Read 1074 times)

drewtwo

• View Profile
    • Email
Asking about scholarships
« on: June 13, 2007, 02:47:05 PM »
I'm currently accepted at 3 schools, IU-Indianapolis, DePaul, and U of Oregon. DePaul is my first choice but it's hard for me to finalize my choice because it's so much more expensive than the other two, especially when you factor in cost of living in Chicago. I wasn't offered any money, and I wonder if there is an appropriate way to approach schools and ask if there is a possibility of getting a scholarship to attend(especially at this late stage). Thanks for any input.
LSAT: 162
GPA: 3.0

h2xblive

Re: Asking about scholarships
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:49:25 PM »
I'm currently accepted at 3 schools, IU-Indianapolis, DePaul, and U of Oregon. DePaul is my first choice but it's hard for me to finalize my choice because it's so much more expensive than the other two, especially when you factor in cost of living in Chicago. I wasn't offered any money, and I wonder if there is an appropriate way to approach schools and ask if there is a possibility of getting a scholarship to attend(especially at this late stage). Thanks for any input.

Just tell them what you told us - DePaul is your first choice, but due to cost considerations, you can't commit to DePaul just yet.  Ask for some money to help make up the cost difference between DePaul and your other two schools.

Jihad_Jesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 08:53:03 PM »
Yep, write them a nice letter (email is also acceptable) telling them that you really want to go to DePaul for such & such reasons but it's too expensive. Also, beware of Eugene, Oregon.
"I would make it my business to be a third wheel."

drewtwo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 01:54:34 AM »
I flew out to Eugene to visit last week and thought it was a nice place. I think it's just too far from home(Indianapolis). Is there a specific reason you don't like Eugene? One thing I really liked about it was how bicycle friendly it is.

Thanks for your replies; I feel much more comfortable writing a letter having gotten a response.

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 02:21:08 AM »
He didn't say he didn't like it; he said beware of it.

drewtwo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 03:02:08 AM »
You're right, my mistake.

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 05:50:57 PM »
I wrote a letter like this to Case Western.  I said that I really wanted to go there, but my career goals (public service) and the debt required to pay full tuition at Case were simply incompatible.  I received no response from them, and the deposit deadline passed this Tuesday (I didn't pay it).

So it didn't work for me, but I was pretty marginal to even get into Case at all.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 08:42:50 PM »
DePaul shot me down when I emailed the guy who signed my acceptance letter.  I asked for a scholarship increase from the $8000 I'd already been given.

It might be in your favor to ask, though.  My numbers are 156/158 and a 3.74 GPA.  In the email response (which seemed a bit impersonal like it might've been used for several people), the guy who responded mentioned how they wanted their money going to people with higher LSATs to raise their numbers (said their median was a 161).  It might work in your favor now that some people have withdrawn who received scholarships (like me) and because your LSAT is on the higher end for DePaul.

Asking for scholarships does work, though.  I got Pacific to increase mine from 10K to 15K/year by sending a letter.  DePaul and Marquette said no.  Once in a while it seems to work. :)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 08:50:55 AM »
I wrote a letter like this to Case Western.  I said that I really wanted to go there, but my career goals (public service) and the debt required to pay full tuition at Case were simply incompatible.  I received no response from them, and the deposit deadline passed this Tuesday (I didn't pay it).

So it didn't work for me, but I was pretty marginal to even get into Case at all.

I also wrote several e-mails to Case Western Reserve on many issues and never received any response. I withdrew from Case the day before the deposit deadline so 9K a year has recently opened up. I've also looked on the Case Western Reserve thread and it seems that everyone is getting this same treatment. Case Western is just too busy to answer our questions. I'm not digging that and it seems to have turned many people away including myself. On the other hand, McGeorge raised my offer from 12K to 15K a year without me having to present any other scholarship to them. USD also responded quickly by bring up my offer from nothing to 16K for my first year and then to 16K per year. So it depends on the school, how busy they are, and how much they want you. Case Western Reserve gave me no response and USD couldn't get their increases out to me soon enough. The second time that I asked for an increase, after getting 16K for my first year by using my McGeorge offer, I wrote an e-mail and sent out a letter via snail mail explaining why USD was my number one choice and how the Case Western Reserve scholarship was tempting. After sending out the snail mail letter I realized that USD had already decided to give me another increase and had sent out a letter on the business day following my request, which arrived while I was mailing my letter out. So let your favorite school know that it's your first choice and that you would gladly attend with more financial assistance.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

jhertzo

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 11:53:17 AM »
Ok, this thread is making me nervous b/c I sent CWRU an e-mail Friday asking for an increase in scholarship $.  Besides taking forever to admit me, they've been decent with communication issues since.  I asked for more $ because I got offered full scholarships at other schools...so hopefully I will hear back eventually (even if it is a no), so that I can decide where to go!
CWRU '10