Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Usage of "that"  (Read 972 times)

newy

Usage of "that"
« on: September 19, 2004, 11:13:01 AM »
Even a grammar freak like me needs some help every now and then.  Which is correct (or is there a correct)?

"...the essential skill of speaking clearly and gently raising my voice when I knew something was wrong."

"...the essential skill of speaking clearly and gently raising my voice when I knew that something was wrong."

And also, if someone could point me to a rule on the usage of "that", it would be most helpful.  Thanks in advance.

egg

Re: Usage of "that"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 12:43:44 PM »
I ran into this in my apps, too. From the ever-awesome bartleby.com:

You can omit that in a relative clause when the subject of the clause is different from the word or phrase the clause refers to. Thus, you can say either the book that I was reading or the book I was reading. You can also omit that when it introduces a subordinate clause: I think we should try again. You should not omit that, however, when the subordinate clause begins with an adverbial phrase or anything other than the subject: She said that under no circumstances would she allow us to skip the meeting.

http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/062.html

So either is fine in this case, though I'd use the first one.

newy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 01:26:10 PM »
Thanks!

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 10:49:51 AM »
My high school english teacher said to always drop the use of that.
She was a grammar nut.  So I believe her.  So I try to avoid using it at all costs.  But like the above poster said both are okay, but the first one would be a stronger sentence.