Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The no digital TIMER IS STUPID .  (Read 7394 times)

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The no digital TIMER IS STUPID .
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 11:24:11 PM »

That's assuming the Monday test is the same as the Saturday administration, which, as far as I know, is not.

Hmm, I did a bit of a search and I think you're right.  One test prep web site said that the Monday takers the school is noted that they took a Monday test and they only provide a score, not a percentile.  However if it is different why isn't it published? They can't use the test again, and I'm sure they'd easily be able to sell copies of it for $8 each and make a mint like they do the Saturday past tests. 

???

Somewhere

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 11:40:10 PM »
They do use parts of the test again.

Lil Orphan Annie

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 12:13:56 AM »

That's assuming the Monday test is the same as the Saturday administration, which, as far as I know, is not.

Hmm, I did a bit of a search and I think you're right.  One test prep web site said that the Monday takers the school is noted that they took a Monday test and they only provide a score, not a percentile.  However if it is different why isn't it published? They can't use the test again, and I'm sure they'd easily be able to sell copies of it for $8 each and make a mint like they do the Saturday past tests. 

???

I just remember the Monday test-takers trying to figure out the experimental section (not sure if their posts would still be up) and they were discussing RCs and LGs and LRs that were not reminiscent at all of the Saturday's administration...

F. Mercury

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 12:24:54 AM »

It is a stupid rule that needs to be changed back ASAP for the september. Ther is no hard in having a digital timer. All proctors have to do is pace and make sure no one is cheating.

The thing about analog if you can not pace yourself.

If I had the resources and I were unethical (I am neither), I would rig a digital timer with a 2.4ghz camera and have someone go in and record images of the test.  I'd sign up for the Monday test.  This is probably why digital timers have been banned. 

This isn't a terribly difficult thing to do.  In fact, I'm surprised if people don't do this already by sticking pin-hole camera and transmitter on their persons.  It's not like I saw the proctors testing the 2.4 spectrum (and that's just using off-the-shelf equipment, think of what some engineering nerds at MIT might rig up). 

This might not give you access to all of the questions, but if you were able to get 1/3 or 1/2 of the answers complete questions that you then had from Sat noon to Monday to review... that's a HUGE advantage. 

You could accomplish this with 1 accomplice (to take the first test) and yourself or anyone technically competent enough to make such a rigging.  Total cost would be $123 for the test about about $200 in equipment.  Cheaper than the powerscore books were.

Even if the tests are the same, I still wouldn't do it, ethical issues aside.  Just think about how much you owe your accomplice.  If your accomplice is not someone that you trust 100%--and I doubt anyone can trust anyone 100%--and if because of his/her effort you get into Harvard and land a high-power job, oh lord your accomplice can ask you for everything he/she wants.  His bargaining power is certainly higher than yours.  If he reports this little incidence that happened a couple years ago, you are done with life...almost.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »

It is a stupid rule that needs to be changed back ASAP for the september. Ther is no hard in having a digital timer. All proctors have to do is pace and make sure no one is cheating.

The thing about analog if you can not pace yourself.

If I had the resources and I were unethical (I am neither), I would rig a digital timer with a 2.4ghz camera and have someone go in and record images of the test.  I'd sign up for the Monday test.  This is probably why digital timers have been banned. 

This isn't a terribly difficult thing to do.  In fact, I'm surprised if people don't do this already by sticking pin-hole camera and transmitter on their persons.  It's not like I saw the proctors testing the 2.4 spectrum (and that's just using off-the-shelf equipment, think of what some engineering nerds at MIT might rig up). 

This might not give you access to all of the questions, but if you were able to get 1/3 or 1/2 of the answers complete questions that you then had from Sat noon to Monday to review... that's a HUGE advantage. 

You could accomplish this with 1 accomplice (to take the first test) and yourself or anyone technically competent enough to make such a rigging.  Total cost would be $123 for the test about about $200 in equipment.  Cheaper than the powerscore books were.

Even if the tests are the same, I still wouldn't do it, ethical issues aside.  Just think about how much you owe your accomplice.  If your accomplice is not someone that you trust 100%--and I doubt anyone can trust anyone 100%--and if because of his/her effort you get into Harvard and land a high-power job, oh lord your accomplice can ask you for everything he/she wants.  His bargaining power is certainly higher than yours.  If he reports this little incidence that happened a couple years ago, you are done with life...almost.

This is why you have to kill your accomplice afterwards. 

Don't they teach you kids anything in college these days?

Lil Orphan Annie

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 05:28:02 PM »

This is why you have to kill your accomplice afterwards. 

TITCR.