Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke vs. NYU PLEASE HELP!  (Read 4880 times)

lawchica

• View Profile
Re: Duke vs. NYU PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 08:58:45 AM »
Thanks everyone..yeah, I actually have been discussing it with several professionals as well- lawyers, law professors etc. and also contacted the Career Services Dept at NYU to see if they have had any experience where they have students who are interested in courses that the University may not specialize in- waiting on a response.

Thanks for the advice. I went on the link provided for Shearman and Sterling LLP and under IP (if I stick with that), it had graduates from Uva, University of Georgia, Tulane- all over.

At this point, its all relative. I think sometimes we need to step beyond the USNWR and other rankings. I went to UF which is ranked like #47 or something ug and I was able to accomplish a lot, enough to get accepted to NYU and waitlisted at Stanford.

I think it is a matter of what you make of it all. I'm thinking less of the rankings at this point, and what my life as a 2L and 3L will be like at either schools. As a 2L, I imagine at both I will be involved in journals and courses etc.

The problem I had at UF was that my senior year when I wanted to do some substantial work for a firm, there were no such opportunities...that is kind of what I wanted to avoid with law school.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 09:34:51 AM »
Thanks everyone..yeah, I actually have been discussing it with several professionals as well- lawyers, law professors etc. and also contacted the Career Services Dept at NYU to see if they have had any experience where they have students who are interested in courses that the University may not specialize in- waiting on a response.

Thanks for the advice. I went on the link provided for Shearman and Sterling LLP and under IP (if I stick with that), it had graduates from Uva, University of Georgia, Tulane- all over.

At this point, its all relative. I think sometimes we need to step beyond the USNWR and other rankings. I went to UF which is ranked like #47 or something ug and I was able to accomplish a lot, enough to get accepted to NYU and waitlisted at Stanford.

I think it is a matter of what you make of it all. I'm thinking less of the rankings at this point, and what my life as a 2L and 3L will be like at either schools. As a 2L, I imagine at both I will be involved in journals and courses etc.

The problem I had at UF was that my senior year when I wanted to do some substantial work for a firm, there were no such opportunities...that is kind of what I wanted to avoid with law school.

That may be a problem with Duke and Durham....I def know ppl that go to CLS and NYU and actually work for firms part time during 3L.
Columbia 3L

Bridge83

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 09:43:57 AM »
When comparing Duke to NYU, or many other schools, remember:

1. Geographical location and self-selection.  Students who choose to go to Duke in NC may not have as much interest in working at a V5 in NYC after graduation
2.  Duke's small class size.  With fewer Duke Law grads, of course there will be a smaller number of Duke associates

Just food for thought.

formeradmitadmin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 10:11:18 PM »
Very different experiences. Duke's day to day emphasis is total support -- NYU's is total competition (spoken as a former admin at NYU). COL is a big factor. I live in NYC but am very familiar with NC. Your professional choices from Duke will be as good as NYU.

If you want the "I can make it anywhere" routine that NYU guarantees, then choose to come to NY. However, be aware what that may mean in terms of stress/costs.

Re: IP -- doesn't get any better than Boyle @ Duke.

lawchica

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 11:28:52 PM »
Very different experiences. Duke's day to day emphasis is total support -- NYU's is total competition (spoken as a former admin at NYU). COL is a big factor. I live in NYC but am very familiar with NC. Your professional choices from Duke will be as good as NYU.

If you want the "I can make it anywhere" routine that NYU guarantees, then choose to come to NY. However, be aware what that may mean in terms of stress/costs.

Re: IP -- doesn't get any better than Boyle @ Duke.

hmmm..interesting...yeah, I get that vibe from Duke..the Dean of Admissions has been really responsive as compared to NYUs.

My main concern is that if I choose Duke, I will be forced to wait 3 years to actually get an opportunity to practice (not including summers where I will do internships regardless of where I go)

Can you tell me about the Durham area...if I went there, are there opportunities to practice i.e. as a 3L, will I be bored with classes or will I have an opportunity to work part time?