Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke vs. NYU PLEASE HELP!  (Read 4374 times)

lawchica

• View Profile
Duke vs. NYU PLEASE HELP!
« on: June 12, 2007, 06:34:24 PM »
So that I don't sound too snooty about all of this, I know that Duke and NYU are both great schools but I need your input on the environment/qualitative factors about these two schools.

I am intersted in cyber/technology law (I know I should be in CA but for family reasons I've decided to remain on the east coast)- but of course, interests also change so I may end up in another field, who knows.

I'm used to suburban life, grew up in FL so not used to cold weather

I am accepted and planning to go to NYU this fall but a potential seat at Duke may have opened up. No $$ from NYU and Duke not entirely likely since I am waitlisted and most schools budgets have been depleted at this point.

ANY ADVICE would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

lawchica

• View Profile
Re: Duke vs. NYU PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 06:50:25 PM »
Not all that much...a plane ticket between NY and Miami is $120...family reasons was to stay on the east coast vs. going out to CA (interest in internet law/waitlist at Stanford)

Duke hasn't offered $$ yet but I figured I'd get rolling on the decision process b/c in the event that I am accepted, there is little time to make a decision.

I can get used to the cold..I'm just wondering are the perks of going to NYU all that much if I'm not set on some big hot shot firm job in the city? Also, any benefits to Duke that make it desirable?

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 07:15:22 PM »
Wait, so you got WL at Duke but in at NYU? ... interesting
I'd stick with NYU.  But you're not gonna like the reasons.

I'm not set on some big hot shot firm job in the city?

Your desired niche is going to be based around big firms ... unless you want to do some FBI cybercrime stuff that I'm not even sure exists.  Anyways, if you are planning on technology law plan on a big firm at least to start.  And go to NYU.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 07:48:58 PM »
Wait, so you got WL at Duke but in at NYU? ... interesting
I'd stick with NYU.  But you're not gonna like the reasons.

I'm not set on some big hot shot firm job in the city?

Your desired niche is going to be based around big firms ... unless you want to do some FBI cybercrime stuff that I'm not even sure exists.  Anyways, if you are planning on technology law plan on a big firm at least to start.  And go to NYU.

Same with me, except it was CLS. 

OP, do you know for sure that you will get into Duke off the wl? To me, I'd just go with the $ factor, a gut feeling, and determine which school has more courses/clinics/journals for your interest area.
Columbia 3L

lawchica

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 08:50:08 PM »
Hey everyone,

I love this board...you guys are all awesome for being so candid with your advice.

Yes, I found being WL at Duke and accepted at NYU rather odd as well. I think its something to do with playing the rankings a bit- that 2% or whatever that makes up the USNWR where schools want to choose applicants that will accept them, otherwise their score in that area goes down. I could be wrong on this but thats what I read.

Really good advice though everyone- I will definitely take it all into consideration...

My concerns:

Profile: GPA 3.96 (UF) LSAT 167, undergraduate research, publications etc.

- NYU: When I attended the admitted students day at NYU, I have to admit it kinda freaked me out a little, seeing all the competition, or as Scott Turow would state in "One L", "meeting the enemy"...there were people there who got accepted to Yale and Harvard and NYU had offered them like a full ride or something so they were deciding on NYU. My question: Is it better to graduate at the top of my class at Duke or to end up way at the bottom from NYU struggling for Bs and Cs?

- NYU: Also when I attended the Admitted Students Day, I asked a professors about NYU's Intellectual Property program- he practically scoffed and said "What program?" and speaking to a few third years, they told me that students interested in IP were trying to get the school to offer more courses- I don't want to have to go to a school and convince them to offer courses for me. Unless, it doesn't really matter in the end and networking counts more.

- Duke: I promised myself after living in Gainesville, FL for 4 years that I wouldn't end up in the middle of nowhere going to school ever again. What is Durham like? Any job opportunities during the school year or is it a college town atmosphere. Thats the downside- never visited b/c I got waitlisted and figured I wouldn't get off their list.

I know that 1st year no matter where you go, you have no life and you're studying 24/7 so it really doesn't matter so much. But, 2nd and 3rd year, when time frees up a bit, are there any major opportunities in Durham or am I secluded to on campus journals and the sort?

I've visited NYC a few times, and love how diverse it is- there are actors/actresses, CEOs, students, vendors, etc etc- the gamut of experiences. How much of NYC and 'networking' with this variety do you have a chance to do?

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 09:21:57 PM »
- NYU: When I attended the admitted students day at NYU, I have to admit it kinda freaked me out a little, seeing all the competition, or as Scott Turow would state in "One L", "meeting the enemy"...there were people there who got accepted to Yale and Harvard and NYU had offered them like a full ride or something so they were deciding on NYU. My question: Is it better to graduate at the top of my class at Duke or to end up way at the bottom from NYU struggling for Bs and Cs?

LOL this is a laughable assumption I'm sorry to say.  Duke has a lot of profile acceptees that went to ivies and such too ya know.  ANd there is no way to assume, just by the caliber of the ug, that you will be the top of your class at Duke or median at NYU.  The curve is there for a reason and it screws ppl over regardless of ug.
Columbia 3L

lawchica

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 09:26:38 PM »
unfortunately, never visited UVa- didn't apply to any schools in Virginia.

1st year won't make much of a difference b/c this chica will not be doing anything but studying no matter where she is

but, I just don't want to look back as a 2/3L if I choose Duke and think "wow, wouldn't it have been nice to live in a city."

I've applied for a LOT of scholarships (female/minority) but right now, nothing is promised. Cost of Living in NYC is crazy expensive so I don't know if those 2 years of 'experience'- (what it entails i'm not quite sure) is going to be worth the tradeoff of potentially being unbelievably broke.

At this point, if Duke offers no $$$, I guess I'd be crazy to turn down NYU which is offering no $$$ but again this goes back to the quality of life issue at Duke (a.k.a not living in a closet, being able to eat etc.)

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 09:28:51 PM »
unfortunately, never visited UVa- didn't apply to any schools in Virginia.

1st year won't make much of a difference b/c this chica will not be doing anything but studying no matter where she is

but, I just don't want to look back as a 2/3L if I choose Duke and think "wow, wouldn't it have been nice to live in a city."

I've applied for a LOT of scholarships (female/minority) but right now, nothing is promised. Cost of Living in NYC is crazy expensive so I don't know if those 2 years of 'experience'- (what it entails i'm not quite sure) is going to be worth the tradeoff of potentially being unbelievably broke.

At this point, if Duke offers no $$$, I guess I'd be crazy to turn down NYU which is offering no $$$ but again this goes back to the quality of life issue at Duke (a.k.a not living in a closet, being able to eat etc.)

this is imp and was one of the reasons i didn't apply to NYU--especially since their housing is so expensive.
Columbia 3L

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 09:32:36 PM »
My question: Is it better to graduate at the top of my class at Duke or to end up way at the bottom from NYU struggling for Bs and Cs?

I wouldn't make assumptions about your class rank just based on your LSAT score.  You have an excellent GPA.  If you have several publications I'm surprised you didn't apply to Yale.  But yeah, don't be intimidated and make choices about the school based on the perceived difficulty of the competition.

Either school is going to get you a great job.  I don't know the number of firms at NYU but I know Duke has over 400 firms for a graduating class of 200.  But, to refer to your "Bs and Cs" statement, Bs at NYU are still going to get you a job that pays 160 (hell, NYC will probably be 185k by the time we graduate).

Durham is an interesting town.  The short while I was there I got the impression that town-gown relationships are a little strained.  Was with the rents, so I didn't really get a feel for the bar scene.  Yes, it is a college town, but it is also right by Raleigh so there are some great clinical options (and the building is one of the best I saw ... have you visited?).  Also you are right by Chapel Hill, which is awesome (just don't wear your Duke law sweatshirt).  Again, don't know a whole lot about the clinics at NYU, but I can only assume there are some good ones.

edit: on an unrelated note, how many "chicas" does this make on LSD now?

who cares about chicas, how many freakin Florida students are there on this board?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

lawchica

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 10:07:05 PM »

LOL this is a laughable assumption I'm sorry to say.  Duke has a lot of profile acceptees that went to ivies and such too ya know.  ANd there is no way to assume, just by the caliber of the ug, that you will be the top of your class at Duke or median at NYU.  The curve is there for a reason and it screws ppl over regardless of ug.

Lol..are you attending Duke or something in the fall..I wasn't trying to appear smug- I'm not by any means saying that I will definitely end up in the top of my class at Duke- just saying that I probably have more of a shot given the GPA and LSAT range of people who attend Duke compared to those that attend NYU. Thought that might have been obvious.