Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it a bad idea to write about being homosexual?  (Read 6410 times)

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is it a bad idea to write about being homosexual?
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2007, 03:25:52 PM »
Ah yes.  I am the one falling victim to groupthink of prominant conservative pundits and writers.  I cannot think for myself.  You are so right.

I'm not the one afraid to spell out the fact that very real biases against these people exist in the real world and that flaunting it around in a personal statement isn't a good idea.  The reason why this was asked was because the OP was concerned about talking about it as it raises suspicion and invites assumptions that the OP may or may not like raised.  Everyone jumps on the bandwagon that writing about who you are and your sexual status is an important part of your personality and what you can bring to the law school.  These ideas are all hippie idealistic BS.  Legitimate corporations and law firms do not like gays infecting their ranks.  Much of the game is about commanding respect from the legal establishment and the pubic itself.  This aim is not well complimented by arming yourself with limp-wristed, lisp-speaking, social deviants!

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2007, 03:46:04 PM »
Ah yes.  I am the one falling victim to groupthink of prominant conservative pundits and writers.  I cannot think for myself.  You are so right.

I'm not the one afraid to spell out the fact that very real biases against these people exist in the real world and that flaunting it around in a personal statement isn't a good idea.  The reason why this was asked was because the OP was concerned about talking about it as it raises suspicion and invites assumptions that the OP may or may not like raised.  Everyone jumps on the bandwagon that writing about who you are and your sexual status is an important part of your personality and what you can bring to the law school.  These ideas are all hippie idealistic BS.  Legitimate corporations and law firms do not like gays infecting their ranks.  Much of the game is about commanding respect from the legal establishment and the pubic itself.  This aim is not well complimented by arming yourself with limp-wristed, lisp-speaking, social deviants!

Did you stop to consider that on the flip side of that, they don't like hiring hate spewing, intolerant bigots either?  What are you going to do when you are asked to represent a homosexual in a legal matter.  I guarantee that your firm isn't going to discriminate between money from homosexuals and money from straight people.  Or maybe you can represent the Family Research Council and never have to actually come to terms with the fact that you aren't important enough to condemn an entire group of people.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2007, 04:09:55 PM »
What did you write your PS about?  I can't imagine it being much better than the "coming out" topic, or else you would be headed somewhere better than Texas Tech or UNM.  Or maybe you came off like such a pr*ck that those are the only schools that would take you? 

No offense to anyone who attends Tech or UNM...

I was admitted and offered money at schools ranked much higher than UNM and Texas Tech.  I wanted to stay in New Mexico.

For the record, I am not a bigot.  On this thread I have only spoke to the very real assumptions that professionals have about homosexuals.  Sexuality is not something that belongs in the workplace and neither does deviancy.  Sexual deviants then are not looked upon favorably.

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2007, 04:13:15 PM »
But how are homosexuals deviants?  Where is this assumption coming from?

EDIT: Law school is not the professional world.  It is academia.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

Fallon

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2007, 06:11:11 PM »

The OP wasn't asking for advice on whether or not to come out at work.  He's just asking about a PS. 

To the OP: I don't see any problem writing about your coming out experience.  Go for it.
www.personalstatementexchange .com
The Personal Statement Exchange is a new peer editing forum. Join! Post! Edit! Monthly prizes for top users!

Myshkin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2007, 05:14:59 PM »
But how are homosexuals deviants?  Where is this assumption coming from?

EDIT: Law school is not the professional world.  It is academia.

Homosexuals deviate from stratified sexual norms.  In Western Society we have established the monogamous heterosexual relationship represented by marriage.  Homosexuals, just like swingers, pedaphiles, bestalists, etc. are outside of this norm.  Being different isn't always good.

Law School is academia but much more tied to the professional world.

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2007, 05:18:33 PM »
Myshkin you're a jackass.  If in real life you aren't a homophobe and are just out to piss people off you're even more of a jackass. 

Either way, flame or not, you're an idiot.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

OCLawGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2007, 05:24:19 PM »

WTF - regarding above?!?!? >:(

Until now, I didn't think people this stupid still exist.  Then again, it's easy to run your mouth hidding behind your computer since there's no one around to kick your azz!  I thought you were kidding about beating your girlfriend - now, I think you could be that sick.
"Yes, I'm URM!  And if you think for a min that I'm going to turn down any law school acceptance 'cause you feel I don't deserve it, you must be high on something.  I'm not giving up my seat at the front of the bus! Deal with it!" - LSN Unknown

Flame Retardant Spray

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2007, 05:36:50 PM »
::sprays Myshkin::

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »
Guys, Myshkin is just a flame.

Ignore him, and he'll go away.

FYI: Myshkin has now been banned.   

Have a nice day.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston