Law School Discussion

Is it a bad idea to write about being homosexual?

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Is it a bad idea to write about being homosexual?
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2007, 12:23:07 AM »
Coming out in my personal statement is something I'm very conflicted about.  Growing up gay in a military, fundamentalist Christian household was not easy and caused me to have severe depression problems.  This contributed to me having to provide my own way through undergrad.  I have done limited support group work related to AIDS prevention, but no other LGBT involvement.  Do you think this justifies the inclusion of this information in the personal statement?

On a more practical note, regardless of how wrong Myshkin is, people like him do exist and could be present on the admission committee of even the most liberal institutions.  Do you think it's wise for me to include LGBT information on applications to T10-20 schools?

I credit the two above responses, and then add this:

They way I see it is, I don't want to go to any schools that reject me based becasue my sexual orientation. By putting it in my PS it helps me identify the schools that I really would like to attend. So, if the adcomms are like my family, and myshkin, then they'll reject me and i'll be better for not going there :)

I'm not too sure about this line of reasoning.  :-\

Oh, this is all silly.  No reputable school is going to reject anyone for being a homosexual.  That's just not how the law profession and law schools work. 

« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2007, 02:53:19 PM »
tag

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2007, 03:26:49 PM »
Ah yes.  I am the one falling victim to groupthink of prominant conservative pundits and writers.  I cannot think for myself.  You are so right.

Actually, it appears you do a lot of thinking for yourself. Problem is that it's all quantity, no quality. If you stopped thinking and just went with the flow, you'd be less of an idiot. Well, it would at least appear so in public.

ljg

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2007, 03:40:48 PM »
tag