Law School Discussion

Is it a bad idea to write about being homosexual?

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
Re: Is it a bad idea to write about being homosexual?
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »
"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him."

-Jonathan Swift

"Genius, in one respect, is like gold; numbers of persons are constantly writing about both, who have neither"

- Charles Caleb Colton

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2007, 11:19:59 AM »
I will probably talk about my sexuality in my PS. The PS is supposed to give admins an idea of who you are as a person, beyond what they can get from your stats. Several of the most relevant anecdotes I can think of to illustrate my personality necessitate disclosing my sexuality, so I will probably mention it at least tangentially.

And not to feed the flame, but the idea that you shouldn't talk about your sexuality because it is "unprofessional" is ridiculous. Apart from anything else, it's perfectly kosher to bring up any number of topics in a PS that you might not immediately mention in casual conversation- after all, the point of a PS is to let admins know you on a much deeper level than one usually strives for in a professional setting. 

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2007, 11:20:53 AM »
"I am a genius."

- Denny Crane, LSD Poster

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2007, 11:30:32 AM »
I concede that some look at the personal statement as a means for seeing who you are as a person.  That being said, writing about being GLBTQ is like saying:

I'm a vile and base individual.  I am a sexual deviant and likely support other deviant acts and behavior.  I have little respect for authority.  I enjoy or at the very least support the sexual exploitation of children, animals, and the poor.

Go ahead.  Shoot yourself in the foot. 

Posters on this board are overly idealistic.  You are going to get your applications trashed if you actually do this.

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2007, 11:34:18 AM »
I concede that some look at the personal statement as a means for seeing who you are as a person.  That being said, writing about being GLBTQ is like saying:

I'm a vile and base individual.  I am a sexual deviant and likely support other deviant acts and behavior.  I have little respect for authority.  I enjoy or at the very least support the sexual exploitation of children, animals, and the poor.

Go ahead.  Shoot yourself in the foot. 

Posters on this board are overly idealistic.  You are going to get your applications trashed if you actually do this.

HAHAHA

You're still at it?  No one can ever tell you that you give up easily.

The only schools that would reject someone for writing about GLBT issues/identity are the kind of right-wing TTTs that would let someone like you in.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2007, 11:34:27 AM »
"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."

- Carl Sagan

awesomepossum

• Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
The first time I read that as "it's only like that if you're applying to Rent".  That may be because I'm seeing Rent tommorow!

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2007, 11:38:57 AM »
The first time I read that as "it's only like that if you're applying to Rent".  That may be because I'm seeing Rent tommorow!

Most of the characters in Rent would not have a good experience at Regent.

awesomepossum

• Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2007, 11:42:32 AM »
Probably not.  Except in humor value if they all went together.  Angel especially.

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2007, 11:45:27 AM »
"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."

- Carl Sagan

I laugh at the naivety of homosexuals applying to law school and wishing to flaunt their lifestyle choices as "who they are" in their personal statements.  

There's a chance that these types are enlightened though....

That's why they form gangs and beat people up.  That's why they abduct children from schools and leave them in their apartments for years on end...