Law School Discussion

Is it a bad idea to write about being homosexual?

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Is it a bad idea to write about being homosexual?
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 10:47:23 PM »
Odds are, you won't be the only applicant writing about your sexuality in your PS.

Hmm.

(man I'm bored tonight)

One track mind. 

I've heard some girls write about losing their virginity.  Usually that is deemed inappropriate, but I guess writing about your first homosexual experience would be OK?

The OP isn't planning on writing about the act of his sexuality.  He's writing about the identity of his sexuality in the context of an unsupportive/intolerant environment.  There's merit to that.  The key is just to make it stand out from other students who may be writing about the same thing.

I suppose.  I'm just saying, I would enjoy reading a PS about a girl who said, "I remember the first time I realized I liked having sex with guys.  My parents weren't supportive, but it's just so much fun!"

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 10:48:38 PM »
Odds are, you won't be the only applicant writing about your sexuality in your PS.

Hmm.

(man I'm bored tonight)

One track mind. 

I've heard some girls write about losing their virginity.  Usually that is deemed inappropriate, but I guess writing about your first homosexual experience would be OK?

The OP isn't planning on writing about the act of his sexuality.  He's writing about the identity of his sexuality in the context of an unsupportive/intolerant environment.  There's merit to that.  The key is just to make it stand out from other students who may be writing about the same thing.

I suppose.  I'm just saying, I would enjoy reading a PS about a girl who said, "I remember the first time I realized I liked having sex with guys.  My parents weren't supportive, but it's just so much fun!"

There are plenty of websites dedicated to providing those kinds of erotic accounts.  I'm sure you know where to find them.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 10:49:41 PM »

Hmm.

(man I'm bored tonight)

One track mind. 

There are plenty of websites dedicated to providing those kinds of erotic accounts.  I'm sure you know where to find them.

:D

Oh Denny. 

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 06:26:50 AM »

Hmm.

(man I'm bored tonight)

One track mind. 

Link plz?

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 06:07:56 PM »
I'd steer away from writing on this topic.  Being openly GLBTQ; like it or not, is not looked positively upon in the professional world.  It's a personal issue.  Thus writing a personal statement for professional school seems to miss the mark.

TwinkyBean

• It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 08:58:54 PM »
I'd steer away from writing on this topic.  Being openly GLBTQ; like it or not, is not looked positively upon in the professional world.  It's a personal issue.  Thus writing a personal statement for professional school seems to miss the mark.

1.  Its not an "issue." Its who I am.
2. This is exactly the kind of thinking that needs to change. I don't need to hide who I am from anyone. If the "professional world" doesn't like that I'm gay, then they can blow me.

First of all, I think it would make a great topic for your PS.. I wish I had something as diverse as that to talk about.  But, in a tiny way, I dont think it is relevant.. He's why..

I dont mean to offend you.. but it is something that I truly do not understand.. You say that being gay is "who I am", well, I'm heterosexual, and I've never felt the need to tell anyone or write about it, or anything else... I dont define myself by my sexuality. There's a lot more to me than that!... And I'm sure the same goes for you as well.
My question is.. Why is there such a need for many homosexuals to be so open about their sexuality.. (ie parades, rallies, fund faisers, benefits, etc.) Why is it all based on sexual preference? There are any Strait Pride slogans, so why do there need to be homosexual ones?... I realize that there is a need to make homosexuality more mainstream and more widely accepted.. but is that the only reason? What difference would it make to you to never tell anyone in your workplace that you are gay?... They dont tell you they are straight, you simply assume. ...

PLEASE do not take this offensively.. I'm just ignorant about the whole thing.. I just dont understand! I guess my thing is, why does ANY sexual preference make ANY difference to ANYONE at ALL?

Thanks.. please dont think I'm totally stupid! I'm trying to LEARN about these things of which I know not!

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 09:25:12 PM »

2. This is exactly the kind of thinking that needs to change. I don't need to hide who I am from anyone. If the "professional world" doesn't like that I'm gay, then they can blow me.

First of all, I think it would make a great topic for your PS.. I wish I had something as diverse as that to talk about.  But, in a tiny way, I dont think it is relevant.. He's why..

I dont mean to offend you.. but it is something that I truly do not understand.. You say that being gay is "who I am", well, I'm heterosexual, and I've never felt the need to tell anyone or write about it, or anything else... I dont define myself by my sexuality. There's a lot more to me than that!... And I'm sure the same goes for you as well.
My question is.. Why is there such a need for many homosexuals to be so open about their sexuality.. (ie parades, rallies, fund faisers, benefits, etc.) Why is it all based on sexual preference? There are any Strait Pride slogans, so why do there need to be homosexual ones?... I realize that there is a need to make homosexuality more mainstream and more widely accepted.. but is that the only reason? What difference would it make to you to never tell anyone in your workplace that you are gay?... They dont tell you they are straight, you simply assume. ...

PLEASE do not take this offensively.. I'm just ignorant about the whole thing.. I just dont understand! I guess my thing is, why does ANY sexual preference make ANY difference to ANYONE at ALL?

Thanks.. please dont think I'm totally stupid! I'm trying to LEARN about these things of which I know not!

I imagine the reason many homosexuals define themselves by their sexuality is because so many others define them by their sexuality.  If heterosexuals didn't make such a big deal about homosexuality, I doubt homosexuals would either. 

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 09:26:26 PM »

It depends entirely on which law schools the OP is applying to.  Many, if not most law schools are predominantly liberal, and their respective adcoms are looking for a diverse student body (diversity not being limited to race). 

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 09:28:54 PM »
First of all, I think it would make a great topic for your PS.. I wish I had something as diverse as that to talk about.  But, in a tiny way, I dont think it is relevant.. He's why...

Ummm... I'm SURE that there are a lot more homosexuals applying to law school than 23 year old mothers. Didn't we establish that in the other thread?

Not to say that a PS about being gay is a bad idea, you can really write about anything, and any experience you can bring to the table is going to be interesting. They probably don't get a horribly large number of PS's dealing with that topic -- the trick is to make it compelling. Don't just say, "I'm gay. Isn't that interesting?" because in itself, it isn't. You have to tell a story like: "I was in a bar, minding my own business, and these two guys noticed my gay-pride pin, that I was wearing since I had left the GLAAD fundraiser... yada yada... they beat me up, but I learned _____ from it, and I have used incidences like this to improve myself in _____ way." Roughly.

awesomepossum

• Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 09:31:37 PM »

Well Twinky....not to open a whole other can of worms, but think of it this way.  Why are there Black Pride or Puerto Rican day parades etc etc?  Being homosexual is in a sense being like a racial minority.  Because you have a different experience and are treated by the majority in a certain way, it helps to be able to share it with those you have that in common with and express that identification.  Now I know it's sort of weird that a White Pride parade would probably have some problems ..... but that's a discussion for not this late at night.  ALTHOUGH, there are Italian day parades and things of that sort, so in a way those are mini white day parades.....

Also, I am a minority and not gay.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.   ;D