Law School Discussion

Is it a bad idea to write about being homosexual?

Is it a bad idea to write about being homosexual?
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:58:28 PM »
I have been mulling over ideas for my personal statement for the past few months. The only major thing I feel that I've overcome is my upbringing and coming out as a homosexual. I grew up in a really small, ignorant hick town and it was a struggle to ocercome all of that. However I feel that this might disclude me from a lot of schools. Any suggestions? I could also just focus on growing up in a small hick town and being socioeconomically disadvantaged without mentioning the homosexual thing. I don't want to be too cliche. Any ideas?

Re: Is it a bad idea to write about being homosexual?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 12:59:56 PM »
not a ad thing, it's a huge obstacle in today's society, so writing about it is a great idea.

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Go for it.

Put some serious Pathos into it.

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 02:19:24 PM »
I have been mulling over ideas for my personal statement for the past few months. The only major thing I feel that I've overcome is my upbringing and coming out as a homosexual. I grew up in a really small, ignorant hick town and it was a struggle to ocercome all of that. However I feel that this might disclude me from a lot of schools. Any suggestions? I could also just focus on growing up in a small hick town and being socioeconomically disadvantaged without mentioning the homosexual thing. I don't want to be too cliche. Any ideas?

There's nothing cliche about it, really.  Sure, if you keep it on the most general terms, it seems that way.  But if you craft a compelling statement, your personal story should come through.  A friend of mine who came out our last year of HS is applying this cycle, and he actually wrote a PS in this vein.  Now granted he's a good writer, but it came off as very engaging.  He's got a great sense of humor, so he had me laughing, even though the subject matter, i.e. some of the obstacles he faced, are quite serious.  But it was awesome, actually made me forget I was reading a PS.  But yeah, provided you write it well, I wouldn't worry about that as a choice of subject matter.

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:36:23 PM »
Seems intresting. I would love to read it. I'm sure the admin officers would love to read it too-- unless you are applying to Liberty or Regent or something, then they may admit you to "cure" you or do electroshock therapy

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 10:22:26 PM »
Most personal statement topics are cliche, whether it's "why i want to go to law school" or "why I want to help the world" or whatever.

The key is to make your statement stand out from all the rest, regardless of the topic.  Odds are, you won't be the only applicant writing about your sexuality in your PS.  What you should try to do is make your PS strong and particularly noteworthy. 

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 10:24:36 PM »
Odds are, you won't be the only applicant writing about your sexuality in your PS.

Hmm.

(man I'm bored tonight)

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 10:29:31 PM »
Odds are, you won't be the only applicant writing about your sexuality in your PS.

Hmm.

(man I'm bored tonight)

One track mind. 

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 10:31:21 PM »

Hmm.

(man I'm bored tonight)

One track mind. 

I've heard some girls write about losing their virginity.  Usually that is deemed inappropriate, but I guess writing about your first homosexual experience would be OK?

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 10:44:52 PM »

Hmm.

(man I'm bored tonight)

One track mind. 

I've heard some girls write about losing their virginity.  Usually that is deemed inappropriate, but I guess writing about your first homosexual experience would be OK?

The OP isn't planning on writing about the act of his sexuality.  He's writing about the identity of his sexuality in the context of an unsupportive/intolerant environment.  There's merit to that.  The key is just to make it stand out from other students who may be writing about the same thing.