Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Southwestern v. Chapman v. Cal Western  (Read 1144 times)

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Southwestern v. Chapman v. Cal Western
« on: June 12, 2007, 03:46:12 PM »
I am currently waitlisted at all three schools.  Could someone help me break these schools down in terms of their regional presence and job prospects compared to closer, higher ranked schools?

From my understanding Southwestern is the oldest and most prominent, then its a toss up?

caligirl404

• View Profile
Re: Southwestern v. Chapman v. Cal Western
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 03:54:10 PM »
I'm waitlisted at all 3 schools too.  I think that Southwestern is my top choice because I'm interested in either Criminal Law or Entertainment Law which Southwestern has good programs for both.  When it's between Chapman and Cal Western I think I'd take Chapman, it hasn't been around as long as Cal Western but they don't cut the bottom third of their class like Cal Western and the campus is really nice.  I visited both Chapman and Southwestern and loved the atmosphere of Chapman much better.  The area is nice and somewhat cleaner, in my opinion.  I've been told and believe that Southwestern is the most respected out of the three.  I think it's a closer call between Chapman and Cal Western.  I think it comes down to what type of law you're interested in and if any of those schools have programs for that.  You should also visit the campuses because they are all different.  Good luck!  Sorry I don't know a whole lot about the regional presence and job prospects.  Hopefully I'll see you at one of them  :)

sno

• Sr. Citizen
  • run from this law bitches
    • AOL Instant Messenger - snobord99999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:59:58 PM »
i'd say southwestern or cal western depending on if you prefer la or sd...chapman would be ruled out in my book because of their lack of an alumni base (due to its youth)...southwestern and cal western it comes down to where you'd rather practice...southwestern has a strong alumni base so they have that going for it...what southwestern has going against it in my book is when i was deciding last year my friend (a southwestern alum that finished in the top 20%) told me to go anywhere else if i have the choice...she was basically telling me that she had a hard time getting any interviews just because her degree is from there...as far as cal western goes, it's a T4, but they do quite well in the sd market...don't try to go outside the sd market, but having been in sd for a year, they really do quite well...there are 3 schools in sd, usd, cal western and tj...tj and cal west are both T4, but you'd be surprised how much better cal west does than tj...but again, if you want to be in la, go to southwestern as i'm sure the cal western degree doesn't travel well..
usd class of '09!

harold: what happened to my car?
nph: i left some loves stains in the back seat

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=snobord99

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 05:53:04 PM »
I wonder why your friend had so much trouble getting interviews?  Top 20% from Southwestern is rather respectable in my opinion?  It is wierd how Southwestern and Chapman waitlist the hell out of everyone and from the look of things (lawschoolnumbers) Cal Western does not....

sno

• Sr. Citizen
  • run from this law bitches
    • AOL Instant Messenger - snobord99999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 07:31:22 PM »
I wonder why your friend had so much trouble getting interviews?  Top 20% from Southwestern is rather respectable in my opinion?  It is wierd how Southwestern and Chapman waitlist the hell out of everyone and from the look of things (lawschoolnumbers) Cal Western does not....

that's what i thought too, but she said that she wasn't the only one hence her position that it was the school...i can't say for sure that was the reason, it was just wat she told me and her personal experience...
usd class of '09!

harold: what happened to my car?
nph: i left some loves stains in the back seat

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=snobord99