Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: would like to work in Austin but can't get into UT  (Read 1147 times)

mike82

• View Profile
    • Email
would like to work in Austin but can't get into UT
« on: March 09, 2004, 10:49:35 PM »
I'm looking to start applying to law schools in october (that is unless I do horribly on the June LSAT and need to retake it). Right now it looks like my GPA upon application will be around 3.05-3.1. I took a couple practice LSATs without preparation and got a 157 and a 162 so hopefully with some work I can get my score up to the mid 160s when I take it for real. I planned on applying to South Texas College of Law, University of Houston, and University of Texas. Realistically with those kinds of scores and the fact that I'm a middle class white boy, I have very little chance of getting into UT. I think however, that I'll definitely be able to get into STCL, and possibly UH which would be great as those are both very nice schools except for one thing. I don't want to live in Houston after I graduate. As far as cities in Texas go I would much rather live in Austin, but I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to find work there with a degree from a Houston (or anywhere else for that matter) school. Is this the case, and should I look at some other schools? Thanks for any feedback.

mschuh

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: would like to work in Austin but can't get into UT
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 02:24:26 AM »
Mike,

Have you looked into SMU at all?  I applied there this year with a 3.55/155 and was deferred, and should finding out from them in the next 3 weeks.

Matt

mike82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 02:34:45 AM »
Yeah I was thinking about SMU for a while, but I eventually decided I'd rather go to a secular school.

bastage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 08:29:26 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much. I know many attorneys that attended UofH, STCL, SMU, etc., and now work in Austin.
Look at Baker, Botts. They hire from all those schools.

By the way, I think if you could get that LSAT up to about a 170, you might have a chance at UT in-state.

I didn't get in there this semester (2.75, 162), but I don't think my scores were near acceptable for them. So I moving out of state. I can't imagine living in any other city in Texas.

camelbx

• 164/2.95
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 08:57:27 PM »
I applied this time around.
2.95/164 from UT-Austin.
And I applied all over texas and our numbers are pretty close. I can tell you that at UH there is little chance (last years medians = 160/3.57) and they like GPA.-- I was an auto-reject there.

UT actually took longer to ding me.
STCL should be a no-brainer (possible $$).
I would tell ya that if you dont mind the location check out Texas Tech I'm probably going there and they gave me 50% tuition $$. Secular school, easier numbers, still decent rep.

ferris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 09:51:43 PM »
I'm waiting to hear from those three with a 2.6 and 162.  I applied in mid-January.  I am hoping that my GPA will not count as much against me because I graduated in '95, but I don't have a definitive feel as to how they weigh older applicants' GPAs...