Law School Discussion

« on: June 12, 2007, 09:15:55 AM »

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Numbers Calculators!!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:12:08 AM »
How reliable are all these calculators anyway?  I'm using them largely to figure out what schools I should apply to.  Anyone with any experience using the calculators that can tell how accurate they are?

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 12:48:12 PM »
well I don't know how reliable these actually are, if you compare it with the anecdotal "reference" of LSN.
I understand that LSN tends to inflate LSAT numbers b/c people who post there are self-selective obsessive folks, but, these number generators give me an unrealistic percentage.. for example, in Chichu's website, it says I have a 80% chance of getting into harvard with a 168

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 01:03:07 PM »
The biggest flaw I see with LSATreport is that it bases its index on 25% and 75%. The issue here is that most will not be both high or both low.

The data would be more revealing if it was an actual index median. That is, going through some of the reported data plots and calculating for each admitted student. I bet that would be much less skewed.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 01:14:49 PM »
If you were responding to me, I don't care that you purport to not predict anything, people will use it for predictive purposes. I don't mean to sound crass there; I just think people are using it for that, and rightfully so. The relationship between gpa and lsat is so important and lsatreport provides them a mechanical means to demonstrate the relationship.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 01:27:23 PM »
Right, the tool to narrow the search is what I was most concerned with, and why I suggested that using the provided data plots to find the real index median of applicants accepted.

Shark Week

• officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 01:28:09 PM »
If you were responding to me, I don't care that you purport to not predict anything, people will use it for predictive purposes. I don't mean to sound crass there; I just think people are using it for that, and rightfully so. The relationship between gpa and lsat is so important and lsatreport provides them a mechanical means to demonstrate the relationship.

That's fine; they can do so.  But they have to do it themselves; unlike the other sites, there is no attempt to give you a % chances.  Just a bunch of information on how each school weights LSAT and GPA combos, and where you stand in relation to two mythical candidates.  The closer to the 75th, the better.  It's your job to figure out if you are close enough.  It shouldn't be used as a tool to predict admission, it should be used as a tool to narrow your search.
It's pretty nifty, I've bookmarked it for future use. Thanks for the link.

Zam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 01:29:03 PM »
Am I blind or is my school really not on there?

::crosses arms and taps foot::

Zam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 01:38:20 PM »
Am I blind or is my school really not on there?

::crosses arms and taps foot::

Only schools that publish index numbers are there (currently).

Fair enough.

The best thing about the site is that for Boalt the table tells me I would need above a 180.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 01:39:33 PM »
Right, the tool to narrow the search is what I was most concerned with, and why I suggested that using the provided data plots to find the real index median of applicants accepted.

why is the median any more useful than the 25th and 75th percentiles?

I misspoke. At least it seems GCoop understood me. Let me explain.

There are 4 students admitted to school Z, with the following scores:

A: 170 and 3.6
B: 169 and 3.8
C: 168 and 3.65
D: 166 and 3.81

The 25% would be 166, and 75% would be 170 for LSAT.
The 25% would be 3.6, and the 75% would be 3.81 for GPA.

If the index is calculated with =10*(GPA)+LSAT:

A: 206
B: 207
C: 204.5
D: 204.1

This puts the 25% and 75% index numbers at 204.1 and 207, respectively.

Conversely, using the 25% and 75% numbers with either counterparts, the index numbers are 202 and 208.1.

If I have the time I may do this for a school or two to see how it compares.