1 (1.3%)
Dont want one
 4 (5.1%)
Cant get one
 2 (2.5%)
Other/View
 40 (50.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: 1L Summer Jobs  (Read 19593 times)

John Blackthorne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Summer Jobs
« Reply #240 on: July 19, 2007, 08:26:06 PM »

I'm a dumbass when it comes to networking. Got any tips on how to meet some lawyers, etc. who will talk to you?

if you go to a good LS, they'll be so many recruiting events it will be unavoidable.

I'm already worrying about these things ... wtf do you do/ say at them?

get shitfaced and ask female attorneys if they have seen your "new watch."

you mingle and talk to people.
"I only eat inorganic foods. If it doesn't contain molybdenum or something from the noble gases, I'm just not interested"-- Lyle McDonald

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »

I'm a dumbass when it comes to networking. Got any tips on how to meet some lawyers, etc. who will talk to you?

if you go to a good LS, they'll be so many recruiting events it will be unavoidable.

get shitfaced and ask female attorneys if they have seen your "new watch."

you mingle and talk to people.

Your sig is the best nutshell description of law school I've ever read.  Fortunately for me, I love pie.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 23, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »

nothing to worry about.  i did a bunch of research on the firm the first time i went to one... and it was TOTALLY unnecessary.  most of the lawyers just want the free food and drink, too.  :D 

but seriously, i did try to find out a bit about each firm before i got too wasted.  i asked about hours (since you really can't do that during oci), what types of cases they were working on, how soon they were able to do stuff like taking depositions (as opposed to doc review), why they choose that firm over others, did they work on pro bono projects (and could they bill that time), and about the structure of the firm--how work's assigned, and whether you move around in different departments as a summer associate there.

most people didn't do any of this.... the lawyers were mostly penn grads, so a lot of them would just reminisce about law school.  some people avoided the lawyers altogether and just drank. 

basically, you'll get what you want to out of the experience, but no way is there anything to be nervous about.   :)

as to matthies: yes, if you go to a lower-ranked school, or have sucky grades, then you'll want to join the ABA and your local bar association.  i'm a member of mine, and i have spoken to a lot of practicing attorneys by going to events.  i probably won't be practicing in philly, tho, so it really doesn't matter as far as getting a job.   like the vast majority of my classmates, i will be getting my job though oci.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 27, 2007, 06:55:57 PM »
i have a general question about the 1l summer job search: If I've narrowed down my cities of interest to 4. 2 in one area and 2 in another is this reasonable? I plan on going to whichever area I get the sweetest job offer and then continuing there the 2l summer unless I have a serious problem living there 1l summer. Do firms have anyway of finding out if you applied to multiple different areas? ( 2 of my chosen cities are southern, 2 are northern)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 07, 2007, 04:08:59 PM »
as the summer winds down, care to share your experiences?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2007, 05:05:57 AM »
It's over.  So so so glad not to be doing divorce/custody disputes anymore.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 08, 2007, 06:46:15 AM »
It's over.  So so so glad not to be doing divorce/custody disputes anymore.

why?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2007, 09:02:01 AM »
then you wont need to read her reply.

:P

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2007, 09:09:52 AM »
which was?

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2007, 11:58:02 AM »
Nothing changes for me because I'll still be working for the same place, but the interviewing has begun.  And I just got my first callback interview!  ;D