1 (1.3%)
Dont want one
 4 (5.1%)
Cant get one
 2 (2.5%)
Other/View
 40 (50.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: 1L Summer Jobs  (Read 20214 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Summer Jobs
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2007, 10:29:05 AM »
It worked for me for a city that I'd never lived in but had friends in and had visited several times; and it wasn't too far from areas I had ties too.

If I were raving about a place I'd never lived or visited and knew almost nothing about other than what you can find with a quick google search, I doubt it would work too well.  BUT if you don't have ties, I think it's all the more important to explain why you like the area, unless it's a place like NY/LA that assumes everyone would want to live there because it's the best place on earth. 

::)
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2007, 10:50:47 AM »

Obviously, but how much is there to them anyhow? "Hey, I'm so and so, I'd really like this job. Thanks."

Three short paragraphs:

-who you are and what you want
-why you want the job
-logistics

There's not much to it, but the clerk in my office can recite the phrasing word-for-word, so make sure you structure the sentences in your own way.

I use a similar format but usually treat it like I'm selling myself. More about what I can bring than why I want the job.
Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head
I put 'em back in the jacket of the one I love
Carry that velvet sack full of pretty colored marbles
And I'll ask you for 'em back, when I'm ready and done

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »

Obviously, but how much is there to them anyhow? "Hey, I'm so and so, I'd really like this job. Thanks."

Three short paragraphs:

-who you are and what you want
-why you want the job
-logistics

There's not much to it, but the clerk in my office can recite the phrasing word-for-word, so make sure you structure the sentences in your own way.

I use a similar format but usually treat it like I'm selling myself. More about what I can bring than why I want the job.

oh yeah, i guess a better way to describe it would be "why we are right for each other"--why you want the job and what you'll bring to it. 
I am officially a law school graduate : )

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2007, 12:56:01 PM »
Iíll just add to this discussion of resumes and cover letters, donít put all your eggs in one basket. If your going to do OCI and mass mailing, donít forget networking, asking profs for referrals and volunteering for stuff with the local bar. Do all of these and something will happen for you, if you wait and nothing comes from OCI or mailings, its likely too late to land something you really want for 1L summer, donít assume ANYTHING is going to work, so your work all your angles and you will have plenty of options.

Personally I think its better to get the ďrightĒ summer job for you, than just any summer job you get offered. A good experience over the summer can open a lot of doors for you next year, a bad experience over the summer can really sour you on the whole law school experience.

I'm a dumbass when it comes to networking. Got any tips on how to meet some lawyers, etc. who will talk to you?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2007, 01:41:53 PM »
Iíll just add to this discussion of resumes and cover letters, donít put all your eggs in one basket. If your going to do OCI and mass mailing, donít forget networking, asking profs for referrals and volunteering for stuff with the local bar. Do all of these and something will happen for you, if you wait and nothing comes from OCI or mailings, its likely too late to land something you really want for 1L summer, donít assume ANYTHING is going to work, so your work all your angles and you will have plenty of options.

Personally I think its better to get the ďrightĒ summer job for you, than just any summer job you get offered. A good experience over the summer can open a lot of doors for you next year, a bad experience over the summer can really sour you on the whole law school experience.

i had a friend that went thru that  :(
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2007, 03:09:58 PM »

I'm a dumbass when it comes to networking. Got any tips on how to meet some lawyers, etc. who will talk to you?

if you go to a good LS, they'll be so many recruiting events it will be unavoidable.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2007, 03:26:32 PM »

Join the local bar association.  You can usually attend all the CLE events and such, but the young lawyers division occasionally also has networking receptions.  And ask your more savvy networking friends to introduce you around if they know people personally.

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2007, 04:33:46 PM »

I'm a dumbass.

if you go to a good LS, they'll be so many recruiting events it will be unavoidable.

fixt.

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 19, 2007, 04:50:39 PM »
Thanks Matthies and fuwaf. This is good advice. Believe it or not, I've asked quite a few people about networking and you guys are the first to mention the bar. It never crossed my mind either.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 19, 2007, 06:19:07 PM »

I'm already worrying about these things ... wtf do you do/ say at them?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...