1 (1.3%)
Dont want one
 4 (5.1%)
Cant get one
 2 (2.5%)
Other/View
 40 (50.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: 1L Summer Jobs  (Read 20354 times)

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Summer Jobs
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2007, 07:38:35 PM »
What are the similarities/differences between cover letters and 1L summer cover letters?

Umm... I don't really know how to answer that question because it's not like you need to put dramatically different information, but I said I was a 1L at [Law School] and if it was a firm in an area I didn't have readily discernible ties to from reading my resume, I wrote about why I was interested in that city/area. That and the normal stuff is usually all you need.

don't forget the agreement to sell your soul.

Well of course, that goes without saying.

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
are legal resumes dramatically different? ALso, for those going straight through undergrad-law is it wise to remove info from highschool? ANy sites online that give examples of legal resumes if they are dramatically different?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2007, 07:55:20 PM »
tag to see the answer for the question above
Yale.Law.School.2010

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2007, 08:00:30 PM »
No, they're not drastically different and yes, you definitely need to get rid of high school stuff.  Your career services office should help with resume examples once the time comes around. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2007, 08:01:22 PM »
are legal resumes dramatically different? ALso, for those going straight through undergrad-law is it wise to remove info from highschool? ANy sites online that give examples of legal resumes if they are dramatically different?

They aren't dramatically different, but you typically have a section for "legal experience" once you have law-related jobs.  I know some people who kept high school information, but ONLY if it was a really, really important high school and it is worth acknowledging.  For example, one of my friends went to some private boy's school in the town he wants to work in, and apparently the law firm he wants to work for likes people who went to this high school.  If it's just your run-of-the-mill public high school, definitely take it and any other high school activities off your resume.

You could probably find stuff online if you search for legal resumes, and your school's career services should give you more specific information at the beginning of the year.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2007, 08:05:45 PM »

well, they are written in blood.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 16, 2007, 09:02:22 PM »
Your career services office should help with resume examples once the time comes around.

Our CSO gives out a booklet with several examples of resumes (and cover letters) written for a variety of potential employers. They have requirements for both if we want to use their services in a job search. (E.g. there must be a "date prepared" line at the bottom, and grades have to be reported in a certain way.) NALP also forbids some things (e.g. you can't round up your GPA), but at my school the CSO requirements cover these issues.

interesting. i wonder if we have anything like that here.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2007, 09:23:08 PM »
Here is my school's page for professional correspondence, including resume samples.  HTH.

EDIT: http://law.wlu.edu/career/page.asp?pageid=176
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2007, 09:36:18 PM »
D'oh!  Thanks Thou!  How you been?
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Here is my school's page for professional correspondence, including resume samples.  HTH.

EDIT: http://law.wlu.edu/career/page.asp?pageid=176

Great website, thanks!
Yale.Law.School.2010