1 (1.3%)
Dont want one
 4 (5.1%)
Cant get one
 2 (2.5%)
Other/View
 40 (50.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: 1L Summer Jobs  (Read 20206 times)

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Summer Jobs
« Reply #200 on: July 14, 2007, 11:43:58 AM »
How do they pay?  Decently, I think.  The problem with trying to build a solo practice and also doing temp work is that most temp jobs are full-time, often more than full-time, because a firm is in a crunch trying to get a case/deal together in a hurry, which could be very disruptive to client work you may have from your solo practice.  But it's an interesting idea.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 14, 2007, 11:58:16 AM »
How do they pay?  Decently, I think.  The problem with trying to build a solo practice and also doing temp work is that most temp jobs are full-time, often more than full-time, because a firm is in a crunch trying to get a case/deal together in a hurry, which could be very disruptive to client work you may have from your solo practice.  But it's an interesting idea.

hmmmmmm
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #202 on: July 14, 2007, 12:12:14 PM »
Alamo, mazel tov!!  She's beautiful!  Hope the three of you are well.

/hijack
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 14, 2007, 12:52:43 PM »

/hijack

Thanks Jolie!  She's a little angel.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: July 14, 2007, 10:54:22 PM »

/hijack

Seconded.  Congratulations!
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

lawschoolboundlady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2007, 04:18:21 PM »
When do we start looking intensely for 1l summer jobs? What time do OCI's usually occur/when are interviews in which you need to get yourself to the employer typically taking place?

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2007, 04:21:13 PM »
If I were you, and I had time to kill and were feeling restless, I'd come up with a list of target firms now, get your resume ready, and write all the cover letters you can.  You won't be able to send anything to them until 12/1, but having materials ready to go on that date will be a major plus, and it's very difficult to fit that in with studying for finals. 

If you're looking for government, smaller firms, or public interest jobs, you're fine waiting until winter break.

yourlocalsuperhero

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2007, 04:38:43 PM »
What are the similarities/differences between cover letters and 1L summer cover letters?
Why is everyone so quiet?  Is this the democracy you wanted? (Subcomandante Marcos)

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »
What are the similarities/differences between cover letters and 1L summer cover letters?

Umm... I don't really know how to answer that question because it's not like you need to put dramatically different information, but I said I was a 1L at [Law School] and if it was a firm in an area I didn't have readily discernible ties to from reading my resume, I wrote about why I was interested in that city/area.  That and the normal stuff is usually all you need.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2007, 06:28:58 PM »

Umm... I don't really know how to answer that question because it's not like you need to put dramatically different information, but I said I was a 1L at [Law School] and if it was a firm in an area I didn't have readily discernible ties to from reading my resume, I wrote about why I was interested in that city/area. That and the normal stuff is usually all you need.

don't forget the agreement to sell your soul.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future