1 (1.3%)
Dont want one
 4 (5.1%)
Cant get one
 2 (2.5%)
Other/View
 40 (50.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: 1L Summer Jobs  (Read 19923 times)

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Summer Jobs
« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2007, 11:49:48 PM »
I have a question about summer jobs -- do you work the entire time you're not in school, or do you get a few weeks off at the beginning or end of the summer?  I thought that summer associate jobs were usually just 10 weeks long, right?  I know it's a little early, but I wanted to start figuring out vacation plans for next summer if possible.
UPenn '10

John Blackthorne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 11, 2007, 02:53:35 AM »
I have a question about summer jobs -- do you work the entire time you're not in school, or do you get a few weeks off at the beginning or end of the summer?  I thought that summer associate jobs were usually just 10 weeks long, right?  I know it's a little early, but I wanted to start figuring out vacation plans for next summer if possible.

i heard of alot of people working for six weeks.  that way you can work one job, and then another.  or work and then study abroad.  or vice versa
"I only eat inorganic foods. If it doesn't contain molybdenum or something from the noble gases, I'm just not interested"-- Lyle McDonald

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #192 on: July 11, 2007, 05:59:05 AM »
Hey i was wondering.. when applying for BIGLAW and we really have no preference of where to live ...can I just say that I'd work in whatever office in any area and not care? and apply to all of them?

No, you need to pick a market (or two.)  Some firms will allow you to apply to multiple offices of a firm with the same OCI screening interview, but you still need to have told them which markets you're interested in.  If you don't know where you want to live, now's a good time to start figuring that out. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 11, 2007, 01:23:04 PM »

assuming you get a job offer from a firm, you tell them when you'll start/finish, assuming that you meet their minimum (which is not always 10 weeks).

i heard of alot of people working for six weeks.  that way you can work one job, and then another.  or work and then study abroad.  or vice versa

If you split your summer between two firms, you'll probably end up working 6 weeks at each place because they require that as a minimum, so that would be 12 weeks, plus you're looking at time between the two in case you have to relocate to a different area for those 6 weeks.  A lot of firms will only do half summers, so you might end up working only 6 weeks because you don't get another half summer offer.  There's no way to know now which half of the summer you'll be working. 

If you work with just one firm, you may work 10 weeks... at least, I got one offer from a firm that was for 10 weeks, but I am currently working for general counsel which will be about 12 weeks.  We got a week off between exams and starting work, and we'll get a week off in August before class.  They were really flexible, though (one person started a week later), and the firm that offered me a 10-week job said they were flexible with vacations. 

I would probably advise against trying to plan anything at this point, though, because unless you know you're studying abroad and it's from this day to this day and you know you'll have the rest of the summer free, you really won't know what your summer situation will be for months.  I didn't have mine nailed down until spring break, and that was only because I took a full summer offer.  If you take a half offer, you could be waiting around for another half offer.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2007, 10:07:18 AM »
about half way over.

opinions?

how much have you had to write?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 13, 2007, 11:16:44 AM »

assuming you get a job offer from a firm, you tell them when you'll start/finish, assuming that you meet their minimum (which is not always 10 weeks).

If you split your summer between two firms, you'll probably end up working 6 weeks at each place because they require that as a minimum, so that would be 12 weeks, plus you're looking at time between the two in case you have to relocate to a different area for those 6 weeks.  A lot of firms will only do half summers, so you might end up working only 6 weeks because you don't get another half summer offer.  There's no way to know now which half of the summer you'll be working. 

If you work with just one firm, you may work 10 weeks... at least, I got one offer from a firm that was for 10 weeks, but I am currently working for general counsel which will be about 12 weeks.  We got a week off between exams and starting work, and we'll get a week off in August before class.  They were really flexible, though (one person started a week later), and the firm that offered me a 10-week job said they were flexible with vacations. 

I would probably advise against trying to plan anything at this point, though, because unless you know you're studying abroad and it's from this day to this day and you know you'll have the rest of the summer free, you really won't know what your summer situation will be for months.  I didn't have mine nailed down until spring break, and that was only because I took a full summer offer.  If you take a half offer, you could be waiting around for another half offer.

Thanks!  My family has already started planning a group vacation, but from what you've said, it sounds like I'll probably be able to make it work.
UPenn '10

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2007, 10:02:23 PM »
what can someone tell me about temping?

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 13, 2007, 11:13:17 PM »

temping is tempting. :D
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 14, 2007, 11:31:16 AM »

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that.  When a relative of mine did it for a few years before nailing down a full-time position, said relative was doing mostly document review and other quasi-clerical work.  At one point, said relative earned nickname of "subpoena machina."  If that appeals to you, go for it!

Maybe there are good temp gigs out there, but I haven't heard about them.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 14, 2007, 11:40:14 AM »

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that.  When a relative of mine did it for a few years before nailing down a full-time position, said relative was doing mostly document review and other quasi-clerical work.  At one point, said relative earned nickname of "subpoena machina."  If that appeals to you, go for it!

Maybe there are good temp gigs out there, but I haven't heard about them.

how do they pay?  would it be an ez gig while someone was tring to build a solo practice?