1 (1.3%)
Dont want one
 4 (5.1%)
Cant get one
 2 (2.5%)
Other/View
 40 (50.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: 1L Summer Jobs  (Read 20098 times)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Summer Jobs
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2007, 09:38:23 PM »
::::

when do you change your name back to Prince?

swing and a miss
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2007, 01:26:07 AM »
very true.

Basically, I am just trying to figure out my chances of getting a 1l SA position, assuming I go to one of the T14s.  I think this will come into my decision of schools, because I would like to get the experience and maybe pay off some of my undergrad debt.

Basically, you can't apply for a firm job until Dec. 1 if you're a 1L.  The people who really want such jobs are on the ball--they compile a mass mailing to target firms (literally there should be HUNDREDS of firms on your list) and drop them in the mail on Dec. 1.  The great thing about this system, as Vapid implies, is that most people will interview over winter break which can lead to an offer before grades even come out.  Towelie got his job this way.

I don't know what other schools have, but at Penn there is also 1L OCI in the spring.  It's much, much smaller than the 2L version, but I got a callback from my one interview and I know someone else got a job as a SA that way.

So if you're at a top school, it's yours for the taking, but you need to be proactive.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2007, 04:04:25 PM »
very true.

Basically, I am just trying to figure out my chances of getting a 1l SA position, assuming I go to one of the T14s.  I think this will come into my decision of schools, because I would like to get the experience and maybe pay off some of my undergrad debt.

Basically, you can't apply for a firm job until Dec. 1 if you're a 1L.  The people who really want such jobs are on the ball--they compile a mass mailing to target firms (literally there should be HUNDREDS of firms on your list) and drop them in the mail on Dec. 1.  The great thing about this system, as Vapid implies, is that most people will interview over winter break which can lead to an offer before grades even come out.  Towelie got his job this way.

I don't know what other schools have, but at Penn there is also 1L OCI in the spring.  It's much, much smaller than the 2L version, but I got a callback from my one interview and I know someone else got a job as a SA that way.

So if you're at a top school, it's yours for the taking, but you need to be proactive.

We also had 1L OCI, and people got summer associate jobs at firms, but it is MUCH smaller and you can't get anything unless you have pretty awesome grades.  I don't think it's impossible to get a 1L SA position (I was offered one with a firm) but it just depends on what kind of firm you're looking to work for.  Obviously getting a job with a really big/well-known/well-paying firm is ideal, but I don't think that's the norm. 

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2007, 04:06:39 PM »
very true.

We also had 1L OCI, and people got summer associate jobs at firms, but it is MUCH smaller and you can't get anything unless you have pretty awesome grades.  I don't think it's impossible to get a 1L SA position (I was offered one with a firm) but it just depends on what kind of firm you're looking to work for.  Obviously getting a job with a really big/well-known/well-paying firm is ideal, but I don't think that's the norm. 

b4 the summer started, thats all people talked about, so they make it seem like its a given...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »
very true.

b4 the summer started, thats all people talked about, so they make it seem like its a given...

I don't know what "people" you're talking about, but I am just referring to BIGLAW firms.  If you're at a top school, you'll probably have an easier time landing an SA position with a big firm.  If you're not at a top school, your best bet is to try to get experience with a smaller firm, which is much easier depending on your location/market.  Everyone I know is working for firms, but that includes firms with 2 attorneys and bigger/more prestigious ones.  Grades determine the prestige factor of your job, at least at my school.  Those with good grades have jobs with good or decent-sized firms.  Those without good grades are working for very small firms or doing volunteer work or something along those lines.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2007, 04:15:31 PM »
just people on the board.  they talk about it like its a given that they will be working biglaw during the summer...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2007, 04:18:59 PM »
Bear in mind, most of us aren't operating with good information.  It's not as though we've collected and studied data on our classmates' summer jobs - we can only report what we're doing and maybe what our friends are doing.  

As VU pointed out, most of our friends chose to forego SA positions for public interest, government or judicial work (probably because our friends are mostly of the old and/or married (read: boring) variety).  So I have no idea how many people in our class a.)tried for and b.)landed firm jobs.  Honestly couldn't tell you - it could be 1/8, could be 1/2, who knows?  

We have OCI for 1Ls, but I didn't participate.  I know it's much smaller than the fall recruiting, but I have no idea how many employers were there or how many offers were made.  

My guess is that biglaw opportunities for 1Ls map those for 2Ls and grads, albeit with smaller #s getting to play.  It's easier at the top schools and top grades can't hurt.  I don't know of anyone who didn't get a job, and at the end of the day that's what matters most.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2007, 04:20:39 PM »
A lot of people at my school are doing clerkships with federal judges this summer.  Sounds like great experience, but I don't think they get paid.

I also think that grades are an overrated part of the 1L job search.  Yes, all else being equal, better grades at better schools open more doors.  But networking can be just as important, if not more so, as long as your grades are respectable.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

curly

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm sexy
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2007, 06:34:46 PM »
I'm working at a great law firm, getting market rate in DC ($3100/week, though most of it gets deducted off my grants, sadly), and it's a job I got through Spring OCI (I got two firm offers and a couple of public interest jobs through that). I'm also splitting with a non-profit in California, which will be paying me like $250/week (this one I got on my own, just sending out my resume in late February).

So far, the firm's been awesome. There's three other 1Ls in the summer class, but they're all from Harvard/Yale, which confirms what everyone's been saying about how much school names matter (they didn't even ask me for a writing sample).
Red's "The Official Crush of LSD" Award Recipient.

Also, "Hottest Roommate" Award. I'm now prestigious by association.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=lgirl

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2007, 06:56:31 PM »
I'm working at a great law firm, getting market rate in DC ($3100/week, though most of it gets deducted off my grants, sadly), and it's a job I got through Spring OCI (I got two firm offers and a couple of public interest jobs through that). I'm also splitting with a non-profit in California, which will be paying me like $250/week (this one I got on my own, just sending out my resume in late February).

So far, the firm's been awesome. There's three other 1Ls in the summer class, but they're all from Harvard/Yale, which confirms what everyone's been saying about how much school names matter (they didn't even ask me for a writing sample).

Where the @#!* have YOU been?
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all.