• View Profile
Re: 1L Summer Jobs
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2007, 10:00:42 AM »
tagging another of blue's helpful threads

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2007, 10:23:43 AM »
Loans.

Not sure I agree.

Hard to pursue less well-paid options outside of biglaw after a few years if you're paying off a full $180k in loans.

agreed...that is why you should only borrow what you need and only when you need it, not any more and not and sooner than you have to. I'll let you know in 2 and a half years if that ends up working or not.

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2007, 10:36:47 AM »

There have been others?

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2007, 10:38:13 AM »

There have been others?

That's what I said... :D

btw, did I read correctly that you are planning on taking a firm job next summer? I thought you were anti-firm?

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2007, 10:43:38 AM »
Loans.

Not sure I agree.

Hard to pursue less well-paid options outside of biglaw after a few years if you're paying off a full $180k in loans.

Taking a biglaw summer job both years is not really the best option for those interested in other types of work post-school.  PI and smaller firms can be pretty picky about who they hire - they want to see a dedicated commitment to the field.  Not that many law students have the quality and duration of experience to persuade a skeptical potential employer that yes, this is what they're dedicated to doing.  Talk to your school's PI advisor - it's important to spend your summers building your resume with the right kinds of experience.  

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2007, 10:46:56 AM »
I'm talking about other things. Start-ups and whatnot. But yes, for those interested in small firms / PI you're right.

start-ups?

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2007, 10:52:18 AM »

There have been others?

btw, did I read correctly that you are planning on taking a firm job next summer? I thought you were anti-firm?

Nope, I'll probably toil in biglaw obscurity for a little while, although it's definitely not the long-term plan.  I've toyed with the idea of forsaking the salary to go with a medium-sized firm, but I don't think I'm going to do that for a number of reasons.  

So not anti-firm.  Everyone has to hoe his own row, or whatever.  I guess if anything I'm anti-"people-doing-biglaw-because-they're-suffering-from-a-lemming-like-lack-of-self-awareness-and-creativity-and-just-think-that-that's-the-only-option."  But that's a mouthful.

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »

There have been others?

Nope, I'll probably toil in biglaw obscurity for a little while, although it's definitely not the long-term plan. I've toyed with the idea of forsaking the salary to go with a medium-sized firm, but I don't think I'm going to do that for a number of reasons.

So not anti-firm. Everyone has to hoe his own row, or whatever. I guess if anything I'm anti-"people-doing-biglaw-because-they're-suffering-from-a-lemming-like-lack-of-self-awareness-and-creativity-and-just-think-that-that's-the-only-option." But that's a mouthful.

:D you should make that phrase your sig

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2007, 11:05:28 AM »

There have been others?

Nope, I'll probably toil in biglaw obscurity for a little while, although it's definitely not the long-term plan.  I've toyed with the idea of forsaking the salary to go with a medium-sized firm, but I don't think I'm going to do that for a number of reasons. 

So not anti-firm.  Everyone has to hoe his own row, or whatever.  I guess if anything I'm anti-"people-doing-biglaw-because-they're-suffering-from-a-lemming-like-lack-of-self-awareness-and-creativity-and-just-think-that-that's-the-only-option."  But that's a mouthful.

I think a lot of people feel pressured to do what everyone else is doing. It's the stupidest reason I've heard yet to try for a certain type of job. A big firm probably isn't in my future for grade-related reasons, but even before grades came out I was pretty dead set against a big firm. I do know a lot of other people who feel the same way, but then other people just act like you are an idiot if you've never heard of X & Y big firm.

Vapid Unicorn

• Who, me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »
Loans.

Not sure I agree.

I don't disagree, but I think two points should be noted:

(1) Most students at most schools will not have the opportunity to take a paying biglaw firm job during their 1L summer.  So, for most students, there is nothing to agree or disagree about.  Good money that summer is just not an option.

(2) The benefit to an individual student of taking a paying firm job will vary greatly with other factors.  For instance, after undergrad and law school, I will have about $250K in educational debt.  My options would not significantly increase if that were merely $230K.  Also, I would have lost my entire need-based grant for next year if I took a firm job.  So that $20K saved really becomes $10K.  Then you add in the cost of maintining two apartments (since I couldn't stay in Ann Arbor to collect that swanky paycheck) and now we're down to a $7K difference.  For me, that's just not worth it.  For others, it may be a smarter decision.