Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2 cancellations  (Read 1237 times)

AdHaq

• View Profile
    • Email
2 cancellations
« on: June 12, 2007, 03:41:13 AM »
In light of today's test, considering I was worked up for time on 1 LR section, the LG section and the RC section, I'm thinking about canceling my score. I knew going in I would have to do well, as I already have one cancellation under my belt (Feb. test). Despite this, I still don't feel I hit my target and what I truly feel I can get (165). You guys think it would be a grave mistake for me to cancel and have 2 cancellations on my application? I'm putting everything on September 2006 if I cancel.

On the other hand, as background on myself, I'll have an LSE masters degree before I enter law school, with a very high undergrad GPA from a top 25 school. I'm aiming for at least UCLA Law.

Comments and suggestions more than welcome at this point.

P.S. - I know most people don't feel good after a test, granted, some material will be difficult, but all my practice tests have been perfect with timing, and I was still averaging 165s. Given this, I'm considering canceling.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: 2 cancellations
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 03:45:49 AM »
I think your masters degree will count for a lot.  165 is very attainable without completing the test, and even if you're in the low 160s, that's still admirable. 

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:55:28 AM »
Ivey says that 2 cancellations raise a lot of flags. Many schools now take highest--I would ride it out to take the pressure off of September.

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:21:23 AM »
I feel your pain (I canceled Dec.).  Throughout my entire preparation, I had NEVER failed to complete a section until the games section on today's test.  At this point, I'm just going to take my score and take Sept if necessary.  I figure two LSAT scores are better than two cancellations. 
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

OCLawGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 08:47:12 AM »
AdHaq,

check ur PM.

;)
"Yes, I'm URM!  And if you think for a min that I'm going to turn down any law school acceptance 'cause you feel I don't deserve it, you must be high on something.  I'm not giving up my seat at the front of the bus! Deal with it!" - LSN Unknown

Benefactor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 09:40:09 AM »
What's the real point of cancelling a score these days? The ABA requires laws schools to take the highest score so I don't really see the point.

OCLawGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 11:13:11 AM »
What's the real point of cancelling a score these days? The ABA requires laws schools to take the highest score so I don't really see the point.

That's kinda like saying:  My mother told me that beauty is on the inside so what's the point of marrying a beautiful girl.

Yes, schools are required to take the highest score but it doesn't mean they will.  There are thousands of people fighting for the same spot - a low score (even with a high score) is not exactly an advantage compared to your competitor. Besides, some school still average. 
"Yes, I'm URM!  And if you think for a min that I'm going to turn down any law school acceptance 'cause you feel I don't deserve it, you must be high on something.  I'm not giving up my seat at the front of the bus! Deal with it!" - LSN Unknown

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 02:29:35 PM »

Schools are only required to report the highest score when reporting their 25th, median, and 75th percentiles.  For admissions they can do whatever they damn well please.

krystal82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:27:14 PM »
If You think you can do significantly better than cancel, you can justify by sayng you misbubbled or something through an addendum

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 08:30:13 PM »

they report the highest score, yes, but they see and evaluate all scores and cancellations. for more marginal students at highly competitive schools it may matter.

edit: i should read the entire thread before posting...

Schools are only required to report the highest score when reporting their 25th, median, and 75th percentiles.  For admissions they can do whatever they damn well please.

yeah, what he said.
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"