Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: public interest personal statement - how much experience?  (Read 1168 times)

tinker

• View Profile
public interest personal statement - how much experience?
« on: June 12, 2007, 12:04:24 AM »
for a personal statement on going into public interest law, how much experience in public interest would be needed to avoid sounding disingenuous? i have a year and a half of experience working fulltime at a public interest firm. should i still avoid the topic?

would appreciate any input!

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: public interest personal statement - how much experience?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 12:30:35 AM »
In my opinion most essays that concentrate on PI or saving the world sound very dochey, so I'd avoid that. Maybe, you should write about a case that you have worked for, how it challenged you, what emotions it aroused, show passion, but not directly.

yourlocalsuperhero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 10:14:17 AM »
In my opinion most essays that concentrate on PI or saving the world sound very dochey, so I'd avoid that. Maybe, you should write about a case that you have worked for, how it challenged you, what emotions it aroused, show passion, but not directly.
Your year and a half -- which is worthwhile and important -- probably has a place in your personal statement, especially considering your ambitions.  Perhaps it will not be the main thrust of the essay, but somewhere between a few sentences and a few paragraphs, depending on the context, should be good. 

Best of luck! 

Why is everyone so quiet?  Is this the democracy you wanted? (Subcomandante Marcos)

chastened aspirations

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 05:41:37 PM »
for a personal statement on going into public interest law, how much experience in public interest would be needed to avoid sounding disingenuous? i have a year and a half of experience working fulltime at a public interest firm. should i still avoid the topic?

would appreciate any input!

If you can give sincere and compelling reasons why your experiences working for a public interest firm instilled in you the desire to go into public interest law, I don't see why you should avoid the topic. It beats writing a cliched PS about how a childhood experience changed you into the wise, thoughtful human being you are today.

Titus

• MSN Messenger - mhtitus@uark.edu
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matitus04
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - marion_email
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 11:54:12 PM »
I'd worry about using a public interest statement. If that's what you want, go for it. I hear stories about people writing PI statements and then not doing that at all. I think something like 2% of attorneys are PI attorneys, so some of the people using it might be disingenuous. I doubt anyone in particular is but the AC might think you are. So that's a risk you run.

Best of luck to you. ;)

Fallon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 08:31:28 PM »
Yeah, avoid the topic.  Adcomms know that you're probably going to change your mind as to what type of practice you'd like to do once you get there. You want to show the adcomms why they should choose you and to do that you've got to figure out why you're unique.  Good luck.
www.personalstatementexchange .com
The Personal Statement Exchange is a new peer editing forum. Join! Post! Edit! Monthly prizes for top users!

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 08:32:24 PM »
Yeah, avoid the topic.  Adcomms know that you're probably going to change your mind as to what type of practice you'd like to do once you get there. You want to show the adcomms why they should choose you and to do that you've got to figure out why you're unique.  Good luck.

agreed.

that said, if you are truly gung-ho on this topic, I'd suggest picking up a copy of Anna Ivey's book bc she talks about this in the PS section
Columbia 3L