Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Arizona or American???  (Read 769 times)

kavalier13

• View Profile
    • Email
Arizona or American???
« on: June 11, 2007, 08:30:11 PM »
I was planning on attending American in the fall.  Late last week, I received a phone call from the Dean at the University of Arizona saying that I had been admitted from the waitlist.  I have until July to decide.  So far, I think Arizona because the cost difference is tremendous.  Also, UA places well in the west.  I am interested in public interest.  Any information or advice people could provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona or American???
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
If you think you want to be in the western US head to AZ.  I know you said you want PI but anecdotally I have heard good things about the salary-to-stress and hour reqs of Phoenix firms.
American is in a great location for government work and other PI stuff but, as I think you know, it is a really expensive school.  Also, you are in an area that is the target for 2 other local top 30 schools and countless T14 grads ... your steepest competition in the Southwest will be the texas schools.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »
Where do you want to practice?  That will pretty much decide. Both do well in PI from what I've researched.  If you are worried strictly about cost, Arizona hands down.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:21:32 PM »
Kavalier, where are you from??
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

kavalier13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 11:44:35 AM »
I live in NY now, but I am from Arizona, I went to UA for undergrad.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 10:15:24 PM »
I live in NY now, but I am from Arizona, I went to UA for undergrad.

Oh Ok...I was just asking because, obviously, Tucson and DC are entirely different.  You said you were leaning Arizona???  What do you consider as pros for American???  Is it just Public Interest?

kavalier13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 08:26:13 PM »
I just think that for the cost difference, they isn't much difference in the schools.  I guess American would have better political connections for internships and positions???  Though, I have met a good number of UA grads that have gone on to work in DC. 

I decided on Arizona for cost difference, smaller 1L class size, and a better interaction with the school overall.  Thank you for your input and help.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 09:35:33 PM »
congrats, I think that was very much the right move.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 11:42:39 PM »
I just think that for the cost difference, they isn't much difference in the schools.  I guess American would have better political connections for internships and positions???  Though, I have met a good number of UA grads that have gone on to work in DC. 

I decided on Arizona for cost difference, smaller 1L class size, and a better interaction with the school overall.  Thank you for your input and help.

let me also say congrats...

i decided against American for the very same reasons and will probably end up at UA...trying to finalize things now.