Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TERRIBLE LSAT, good GPA... any chances? Drexel?  (Read 5191 times)

armando1624

• View Profile
Re: TERRIBLE LSAT, good GPA... any chances? Drexel?
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 09:03:24 PM »
No need to thank me. I'm just trying to get my post count up. JK.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 11:31:20 PM »
an additional consideration.  do not go to non-ABA accredited schools.  unless you are retired and looking for something to do and the only "law school" in your town is non-ABA approved avoid these programs like the plague.  this will save you a lot of money, disappointment and ridicule.

armando1624

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 11:54:58 PM »
No need to thank me. I'm just trying to get my post count up. JK.

You sound like you work for Powerscore.

Do they actually have people posting here? I received an email reply from D. Kiloran about an error I pointed out, and it was like getting an email from the LSAT prep God.

GwenK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 07:32:46 AM »
Take the LSAT over - but study like hell before. I agree about the Powerscore. Until that kicked my a$$, I thought I was going to sail through the LSAT. As for the ABA - do NOT go to a non-ABA school. Many will make you promises that they hope to be provisionally accredited or that you can still sit the bar - don't believe it. If this is a profession for you and not a hobby, make sure you can actually practice law by going to an ABA-approved school. I have a good friend in a similar situation to you (with similar numbers) who chose non-ABA and he's now regretting his decision (academically and financially.)

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 10:47:26 AM »
If you plan to take the bar in Pennsylvania, don't go to Drexel. It's explicitly stated in the state rules that anyone who hasn't graduated from an ABA-accredited law school can't sit for the bar there. If you don't have an undergraduate or graduate degree in math, science, engineering or business, don't bother applying.

If you're intent on going, boost your LSAT score. I applied to Drexel as a safety school and was rejected. My LSAT is higher than a 143 but below Drexel's median.

Admissions committees seem to put more stock in nontrads' LSAT scores than undergrad GPAs.

gemgrl6581

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 01:21:04 PM »
Thank you for your responses.  I do know thet Drexel is not ABA approved. I was hoping for probationary accreditation by the time I graduated.

I am going to take the LSAT again in either December or February.  I am hoping I score MUCH MUCH higher so I can write an adendum to offset the sh*t score I got the first time.  I am hoping my GPA for the graduate program I am in now and work experience will help me.  I am just concerned about whether anyone will take me.  I would love to go to school in NY.  Thanks =)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 02:31:14 PM »
Take PowerScore or TestMasters and retake the LSAT. The schools now only take the highest score- they are no longer averaging the two. As a few years will have passed since your first LSAT, I wouldn't even worry about an addendum. Good luck.
Vanderbilt 2010

Ellis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 05:39:19 PM »
I wouldn't listen to anyone else.  I got a 144 on the LSAT in Dec 06, my ugpa was a 2.96, and grad gpa was 3.5.  I was accepted into two schools, one of which is in the top 100.  At the rate you are going, apply where you want to go, if unsuccessful, retake the lsat, and reapply.  As far as I am concerned, the committee is in fact looking at your entire profile.  Good luck, and don't be discouraged.  I cried for two days when I got my lsat scores.
Accepted: Denver, FL Coastal
Waitlisted: Wyoming

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 02:52:58 PM »
Thanks for your response... I will be sure to check out those resources.

I took a Kaplan Course.  I do not recommend it.  I am sure its great for some people, but I did not see (at least in my class) many people's scores go up significantly.  I heard Princeton Review is better.  PowerScore is not in my area.  I would like to find a private tutor... I am in New Jersey.

=)

Where in Jersey?  Testmasters has a buncha options in Phila. area.

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 03:22:26 PM »
You are sort of in a similar situation as myself. I have MA too and going to law school no matter what others tell me. My UGPA is almost the same as yours, and I hope that my MA would get me an extra plus from admin committee. The only critical factor however is LSAT and if I were you, I would re-take. Study hard for next six months and ace your LSAT. Nothing is impossible. If you have pulled yourself from 3.55 to 3.95 at grad (although grad schools tend to grade less harshly), there is nothing you cannot do. Life is short and do what your guts tell you. Re-take your LSAT and I am sure you will do MUCH MUCH better than 140s.  BEST!