Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TERRIBLE LSAT, good GPA... any chances? Drexel?  (Read 5464 times)

gemgrl6581

• View Profile
    • Email
TERRIBLE LSAT, good GPA... any chances? Drexel?
« on: June 11, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »
I have a 143 LSAT in Oct of 2004.  I do not know why, but thats the score I got.  In practice sessions, it was marginally higher.  My undergrad GPA is a 3.51 with a minor in Poli. Sci - GPA 3.74.  I graduated in 2004 after attending a community college my first 2 years.  I am currently in Grad school with a 3.95 GPA.  I feel my LSAT is unrecoverable in the law school admissions officers' eyes.  I am too afraid to apply to any law schools. 

I am looking at Drexel's new law school but I don't know if they will even take me. I do not know where to apply or if I should even bother.  I feel as if my LSAT is not indicative of my performance in law school at all. 

Where can I apply?  What can I do?  A counselor pretty much told me to not even bother.  That upsets me!  Any suggestions?

armando1624

• View Profile
Re: TERRIBLE LSAT, good GPA... any chances? Drexel?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »

A counselor pretty much told me to not even bother.

Unless you want to be a counselor, take his advice and wipe your rectum with it. ;)

gemgrl6581

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:36:35 PM »
I took a prep course...  I want to take it again, but I fear this is just my range.  If I can find a private tutor in my area that would be great.  Thanks =)

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 08:39:54 PM »
yeah dude.  1. breathe. 2. ask yourself if you really want to go to law school.  i mean, why are you in grad school now? a plaque on your wall? or did you hope to use it in some way? is law school really necessary? are you going to appease vanity? 3. if the answer to the first question in point 2 is "yes", then for the love of pete, study your a*s off and re-take the LSAT.  sadly, moaning about an imperfect test (and believe me, most people hate the LSAT) does little since it is equally imprefect to all test-takers.  an you're right, a 3.5 GPA (they don't care what your GPA was in a particular sub-degree, or what it was in your major, they look at your overall, period) in a "soft" science with a 143 LSAT isn't going to get you much.  i'd re-take the test (again if this is really what you want to do) giving yourself every chance to excel (this means the September test is probably too early for you, you need to up your score a standard deviation or two) and if you still do poorly no big deal, you just weren't cut out to be a lawyer in this system.

Sam P. Huntington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 08:43:29 PM »
I have a 143 LSAT in Oct of 2004.  I do not know why, but thats the score I got.  In practice sessions, it was marginally higher.  My undergrad GPA is a 3.51 with a minor in Poli. Sci - GPA 3.74.  I graduated in 2004 after attending a community college my first 2 years.  I am currently in Grad school with a 3.95 GPA.  I feel my LSAT is unrecoverable in the law school admissions officers' eyes.  I am too afraid to apply to any law schools. 

I am looking at Drexel's new law school but I don't know if they will even take me. I do not know where to apply or if I should even bother.  I feel as if my LSAT is not indicative of my performance in law school at all. 

Where can I apply?  What can I do?  A counselor pretty much told me to not even bother.  That upsets me!  Any suggestions?

You're in grad school now. How many years is the program? I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that your LSAT score becomes invalid after 5 years. Maybe if you take the exam in October of 2009 or later, the 2009 score is the only one they'll see? It's worth investigating, especially if your current grad program is another year or two and you're willing to work for a few years after school.
Boston College Law School Class of 2010

armando1624

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 08:44:09 PM »
I took a prep course...  I want to take it again, but I fear this is just my range.  If I can find a private tutor in my area that would be great.  Thanks =)

I don't want to sound like I work for Powerscore (I just love their books to death because I felt like Kaplan & PR were a ripoff), but I don't think anybody knows their "range" until they work their way through the LR Bible and the LG Bible.

Nova's book "Master the LSAT" (I think that's what it's called; I have the ebook, and I read it sometimes when I should be working) is good, but the bibles (IMHO) are more thorough.

BTW, what prep course did you take?

armando1624

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 08:52:17 PM »
i mean, why are you in grad school now? a plaque on your wall?

That's actually a very important point to consider. Take my case for example: my UG major was accounting. I'm a damn good accountant; a gifted one. At 21, halfway through my UG, I was internal auditor of a publicly traded company. I'm definitely a better accountant than I will be a lawyer, but being a beancounter isn't fulfilling to me.

Follow your dream and tell your counselor to get bent if necessary.

gemgrl6581

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 08:56:06 PM »
Thanks for your response... I will be sure to check out those resources.

I took a Kaplan Course.  I do not recommend it.  I am sure its great for some people, but I did not see (at least in my class) many people's scores go up significantly.  I heard Princeton Review is better.  PowerScore is not in my area.  I would like to find a private tutor... I am in New Jersey.

=)

armando1624

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Thanks for your response... I will be sure to check out those resources.

I took a Kaplan Course.  I do not recommend it.  I am sure its great for some people, but I did not see (at least in my class) many people's scores go up significantly.  I heard Princeton Review is better.  PowerScore is not in my area.  I would liek to find a provate tutor... I am in New Jersey.

=)

Even if you're hellbent on taking a course, work through the bibles first; you'll probably get more out of your course that way.

gemgrl6581

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 09:00:32 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  Yes I am sure I want to go to law school... since I was 3.  I am in grad school right now as a means of exercising my brain.  The opportunity presented itself and I took it.  No reason to let it go to waste.  It has actually helped me narrow the kind of law I want to do.  It can also provide a means of income if I can get into a part-time law program.

=)