Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Drinking culture in LS  (Read 9128 times)

quem vem la-sou eu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking culture in LS
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2007, 01:07:40 AM »
To OP:

I'm assuming from the post that you're trying to, in the parlance of alcoholics, "white-knuckle", i.e. go from being a heavy drinker to total abstinence, and I would suggest, (and sincerely hope that by doing so I didn't offend in any way) that there is a secret club that is absolutely free of charge and helps people in this transition.

dougiefresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2007, 01:40:32 AM »
To OP:

I'm assuming from the post that you're trying to, in the parlance of alcoholics, "white-knuckle", i.e. go from being a heavy drinker to total abstinence, and I would suggest, (and sincerely hope that by doing so I didn't offend in any way) that there is a secret club that is absolutely free of charge and helps people in this transition.

AA is great for getting people to stop drinking...and start smoking
Air Flare - attending NU in Fall 2007

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2007, 08:34:35 AM »
tell me more about the free alcohol. when, where how and why

Social events, Career Planning events, student recruiting events.  At my school, I'd guess there's some sort of free alcohol available an average of once a week.  They usually don't provide copious quantities, however, which is probably a good thing.
We actually do have copious amounts available sometimes.  The law students also negotiate with bars better.  For instance, for a birthday party held both 1L and 2L, someone negotiated with a bar to make a themed drink available at a really cheap price.  Law students are (almost) all over 21, and work together a lot, so they are more coordinated when holding parties and stuff and can get these kinds of deals.  At least at my school anyway.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2007, 10:12:12 AM »
To OP:

Moderation has failed miserably, and repeatedly.  Cold turkey has never been tried in earnest, until now.

As for your club:
I (the prideful possessor of a huge ego) have fundamental qualms with groupthink, group identity, and submitting my will to a "higher power" (step 4 of 12, I believe).

I'll stick with my way for now.  Tomorrow will be 5 weeks without a drop.  If that fails, I'll go to a meeting. 

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2007, 11:04:35 AM »
To OP:

Moderation has failed miserably, and repeatedly.  Cold turkey has never been tried in earnest, until now.

As for your club:
I (the prideful possessor of a huge ego) have fundamental qualms with groupthink, group identity, and submitting my will to a "higher power" (step 4 of 12, I believe).

I'll stick with my way for now.  Tomorrow will be 5 weeks without a drop.  If that fails, I'll go to a meeting. 

Congrats.  If it works, it works.  But don't underestimate the stress that LS will place on you; not drinking under those conditions isn't the same as giving up alcohol in your current situation.  Not that it's impossible, it's just a very different scenario.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »
To OP:

AA is great for getting people to stop drinking...and start smoking and drink gallons of coffee.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2007, 03:02:32 PM »
To OP:

As for your club:

You've either never been to a mtg or are going to the wrong ones.  Find those populated with atheists, and you'll be happy.  Your above comment is what I hear from anybody with an IQ over 130 that walks into a twelve step mtg.  Believe me, intelligent folk and freethinkers can get clean and stay clean.  One just has to find the right clique and a sponsor you can relate to.  Go to a mtg, dude.  Try 90 in 90 days, then you can say you gave it a shot and it's not for you.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2007, 05:17:22 PM »
By the way, one of the men I met in one meeting was a state attorney general. I won't say who, obviously, but what I'm trying to show is that meetings aren't full of scumbags and losers. Plus sometimes you get a pretty good laugh.  The St. Patrick's Day meeting was pretty funny, there was a lot of heckling of all the "amateur" drunks. I was glad I went.

This is only marginally on-topic, but I highly highly highly recommend Caroline Knapp's memoir Drinking: A Love Story.  She was one of my favorite writers - witty, sharp, sensitive, incredibly candid.  (I cried real tears when she passed away a few years ago.)  Anyway, it's the best treatment of a personal struggle with substance abuse that I've ever read.  She was the perfect example of a super high-functioning alcoholic: Ivy-educated, from a wealthy blue-blood background and maintained a successful career the whole time that she was drinking.  I related to a lot of what she described and I don't even have a drinking problem.  Wonderful book.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »
Why would anyone ever want to stop drinking?

I can think of a few reasons. 

What if you were getting hammered 4 or 5 nights a week in college.  That's cool.  It's just a college phase, even if your GPA is a 2.7.  What if you woke up after blackouts next to girls whose name you didn't even know?  What if you got drunk and hooked up with a random the night before the LSAT (and have a below average test day --167).  What if you might've knocked up some hippie a month later, only you won't know if the kid is yours until it's born in august --days before law school orientation.  And then what if you got blackout drunk about a dozen more times after that.  Then one morning you wake up naked and confused (you always wake up this way after a blackout, although you don't think you've ever woke up in urine before) having been banned from your favorite bar.  You have no idea what you did, but it must have been horrible because you're a very regular customer and an excellent tipper. 

Then you get to thinking... the banstick from your favorite bar is an all-time low.  Waking up in your own fluids and impregnating some dumb girl didn't stop you, but banned from your bar...  Then you get to thinking that you should've drown in your own vomit a long time ago... and if you don't shape up quick you'll fu(k up law school.

...that'd probably make you wanna stop.

Mickey Ward

• Sr. Citizen
  • A kid from Lowell rises to the bell...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2007, 06:44:35 PM »
My ex has a pretty serious drinking problem, but she doesn't want to hear about it. Her dad was an abusive alcoholic/drug addict whose problems killed him when she was really young. She engages in a lot of self-destruction.

All I can really do is keep an eye on her and try (gingerly) to convince her to change her behavior.