Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Drinking culture in LS  (Read 9155 times)

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
Drinking culture in LS
« on: June 11, 2007, 03:12:58 PM »
2.7/167/23 years old

After a serious personal inventory I've decided to give up the drink before law school.  I've been the life of the party for five years and have a lifetimes worth of crazy drinking stories. 

I'm worried about my transition to straightedge.

At ASD a few 2Ls were talking about "Thursday night Bar Review."  How prevalent is this stuff? 

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Drinking culture in LS
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 03:15:54 PM »
Weren't you the poster with the paternity problems?  Going dry might not be a bad idea.

Drinking is a big part of the culture surrounding law school, probably more so at some schools than others.  I don't think that sobriety should present a problem, tho.  And you'll have fun laughing at just how schnookered some of your colleagues will get at official law school functions.  
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 03:17:46 PM »
Weren't you the poster with the paternity problems?  Going dry might not be a bad idea.

Drinking is a big part of the culture surrounding law school, probably more so at some schools than others.  I don't think that sobriety should present a problem, tho.  And you'll have fun laughing at just how schnookered some of your colleagues will get at official law school functions. 

::schnookers jolie::

Hi, love!

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 03:19:32 PM »
Weren't you the poster with the paternity problems?  Going dry might not be a bad idea.

2 monts till it hatches.  D-day will be a few days before orientation.  She says she's putting it up for adoption, but is probably lying.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 03:22:17 PM »

2 monts till it hatches.  D-day will be a few days before orientation.  She says she's putting it up for adoption, but is probably lying.

Umm, my biology degree is almost a decade out of date, but I think that if your erstwhile drinking buddy is incubating a bird you're definitely off the hook for siring it.

ETA: or a reptile, for that matter. 

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 04:05:53 PM »
Either way... It'd be damn tough to brief cases every day while trying to remember to change change the litter box and clean out the cage.  I don't know if I'd be good at that.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 04:23:48 PM »

Umm, my biology degree is almost a decade out of date, but I think that if your erstwhile drinking buddy is incubating a bird you're definitely off the hook for siring it.

ETA: or a reptile, for that matter. 

If its a fish, I think you have to go to jail... Only Troy McClure would stoop that low.
VIP.

ciao-a-bunga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 04:25:29 PM »
I went to a Thursday night Bar Review when I was visiting my school.  It was a really awesome environment and everyone was very sociable... but no one was drunk.  And when I asked, they all said they usually go home sometime between 12 and 1:30.  Not quite party animals.

I'm going to miss undergrad.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 04:29:47 PM »
I feel like at least this next year is too important to be ripped out of your mind, although I'm sure things will lighten up considerably 2 and 3L years....1L year is just a different mindset.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 04:51:32 PM »
I went to a Thursday night Bar Review when I was visiting my school.  It was a really awesome environment and everyone was very sociable... but no one was drunk.  And when I asked, they all said they usually go home sometime between 12 and 1:30.  Not quite party animals.

I'm going to miss undergrad.
They go home and get drunk in private (with thier closest friends) to avoid embarrassment. Remember it's a small community.  If you make 1 mistake everyone will know, and everyone will remember for the whole 3 years and beyond... :-X