Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need input FAST!! Hastings vs. Minnesota  (Read 1838 times)

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need input FAST!! Hastings vs. Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 03:08:27 PM »
Also, keep in mind that Hastings students are very competitive due to two very well-regarded schools nearby (Boalt and Stanford).  UMN is the top school in its area, and I imagine the class atmosphere reflects that.
2L

riss0016

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 03:19:05 PM »
While I'd love for you to join me at Minnesota next fall and I think all of the advice on this board has been solid, if you still think you might want to go to Hastings, then put down the deposit.  $500 in the long run isn't much when you're talking about your legal future.

Definitely pick UMN though ;)

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 06:27:59 PM »
As someone from Chicago, I can attest to (a) the generally-held idea re: placement in Chicago that all the big 10 schools (except for the lower-ranked MSU and PSU) have a decent reputation in the city, and (b) the fact that a lot of ppl (esp native Chicagoans  ;D) seem to like the twin cities.

I would be curious as to how Hastings places up in Portland and Seattle, and also down in LA or in Arizona...

Minnesota seems to have better regional trumpage, especially in its own town--- I wouldn't worry too much about that though.  (e.g. Hastings might have several elite schools and many others nearby, but it's because the market holds em... the bay area is WAY more populous than the Minneapolis area).

Location is key but beyond that (or maybe intertwined with that), I'd try and figure out which school I feel more at home with.

edit: I'd agree that if you are not sure, deposit and look into it further.

ARE THERE SUMMER CLASSES YOU CAN SEE??? It would be really nice to see some classes in session. It made the my decision much easier.

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 08:12:10 PM »
I put the deposit down at Hastings.  I obviously just need to at least visit both schools before deciding.  Thanks for the help everyone.  Anymore insight is welcome.

Amy Winehouse

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rehab is for quitters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 09:40:11 PM »
Do a gut check--that'll tell you everything you need to know about where you want to go to school.  I sent a deposit in somewhere and couldn't eat or sleep because of the stomache pains.  I withdrew and sent the deposit to the right school and now everything is right in the world.  How do you feel now that you've sent the check to Hastings?  Relieved that the door is still open?  Are you already planning your apartment in San Francisco?  Are you looking at Twin Cities housing on Craigslist?  The little details, like where you see yourself walking or dining in X city are the details that point to the "right" decision.
Columbia Law School 2010

Hastings16

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 12:21:10 AM »
sure are a whole lotta Hastings vs. X school threads lately....

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 03:20:57 PM »
I went to the U of M for undergrad and have visited the law school, so if you have any questions, let me know.  I promise I'll be honest even though I'm on the waiting list and want your spot :)  The one thing I can say though is that if you are from Arizona, MN winters are going to be hell on you!   
Boston College Class of 2011!

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 04:35:37 PM »
I went to the U of M for undergrad and have visited the law school, so if you have any questions, let me know.  I promise I'll be honest even though I'm on the waiting list and want your spot :)  The one thing I can say though is that if you are from Arizona, MN winters are going to be hell on you!   

I will second that.  I moved from the tropics to the Canadian prairies.  Whoa.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

LSATnooblet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »
Yeah... what is up with all these Hastings -vs- X threads?

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 06:04:23 AM »
Yeah... what is up with all these Hastings -vs- X threads?

Hastings probably let a bunch in off the WL in a big batch.