Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need input FAST!! Hastings vs. Minnesota  (Read 1845 times)

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
Need input FAST!! Hastings vs. Minnesota
« on: June 11, 2007, 12:03:01 PM »
I have until the "close of business" today to pay the $500 deposit for Hastings.  If I'm going to leave my home state, I'm having trouble deciding whether Hastings or Minnesota will offer the best opportunities.  I really have no idea where I want to work in the future, but I'd prefer not to be limited to any region of the country if at all possible. 

The ECA for Hastings is $54,638, and only $46,407 for Minnesota.  The location of Hastings (San Francisco) is more appealing to me than the location of UMN (Minneapolis) for the short term, but I honestly don't think I'd really want to live in either city in the long term.

Is anyone here familiar with how the schools compare in terms of reputation, and national job prospects?  In your opinion is the additional cost of Hastings, coupled with the lower ranking outweighed by the better location and job prospects?

Also, as a side note, I am interested in IP law (I'm an engineer), and Hastings doesn't seem to have very much in this area, while UMN is fairly highly regarded as an IP school from what I can tell.

Katie08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Need input FAST!! Hastings vs. Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:05:19 PM »
I have until the "close of business" today to pay the $500 deposit for Hastings.  If I'm going to leave my home state, I'm having trouble deciding whether Hastings or Minnesota will offer the best opportunities.  I really have no idea where I want to work in the future, but I'd prefer not to be limited to any region of the country if at all possible. 

The ECA for Hastings is $54,638, and only $46,407 for Minnesota.  The location of Hastings (San Francisco) is more appealing to me than the location of UMN (Minneapolis) for the short term, but I honestly don't think I'd really want to live in either city in the long term.

Is anyone here familiar with how the schools compare in terms of reputation, and national job prospects?  In your opinion is the additional cost of Hastings, coupled with the lower ranking outweighed by the better location and job prospects?

Also, as a side note, I am interested in IP law (I'm an engineer), and Hastings doesn't seem to have very much in this area, while UMN is fairly highly regarded as an IP school from what I can tell.

Are you sure of this? I know nothing about Hastings, so maybe I'm wrong, but generally higher ranking= better national placement.

I have to say, without knowing a ton about your situation, that a lower cost of attendence and a higher ranking would make the decision pretty easy for me. Also, the Twin Cities are great once you get to know the area :)
You must be the change you wish to see in the world

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:07:15 PM »
If you want to live in the North Central states: go to Minn
If you want to live on the West Coast: go to Hastings

If you want to live anywhere else, prepare for some absurd amounts of legwork.

riss0016

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »
If you want to live in the North Central states: go to Minn
If you want to live on the West Coast: go to Hastings

If you want to live anywhere else, prepare for some absurd amounts of legwork.

I would say the first part of this is definately true, placement will be better for both in their own region.  However, if you don't know where you want to go, Minnesota seems like a better bet.  I think "absurd" amounts of legwork is over the top, I know many Minnesota 2Ls summering in New York and DC.  While not quite a t14, a t20 ranking is going to open some doors.  Cost of living is also a lot lower in the Twin Cities, so that should be kept in mind. 

Good luck!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 01:22:11 PM »
~25 students each year go straight to NY or DC from Minn...

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 02:19:12 PM »
In my opinion there is no question here.  UMN.  They have a fantastic IP program, a great environment, and lots of contacts in the area for part time work during the year or in the summer.  If Hastings costs more money than UMN, I wouldn't even consider Hastings.  Have you been to the tenderloin?  Have you been to the twin cities?

Go to Minnesota.

2L

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 02:29:34 PM »
In my opinion there is no question here.  UMN.  They have a fantastic IP program, a great environment, and lots of contacts in the area for part time work during the year or in the summer.  If Hastings costs more money than UMN, I wouldn't even consider Hastings.  Have you been to the tenderloin?  Have you been to the twin cities?

Go to Minnesota.

I've never been to either city... or even either region.  Both will be huge transitions for me in terms of lifestyle, since I'm from Arizona (although less so for Hastings). 

I've only heard good things about Minneapolis, and bad things about the tenderloin.

Thanks for the input by the way everyone.

Does anyone know about the ability for UMN grads to go to Chicago?

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 02:51:49 PM »
I'd say anywhere west of the Rockies = Hastings; east of the Rockies = Minnesota.

I'd also say that Minnesota would probably place better out west than Hastings would back east, though I'd be completely speculating.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 02:56:43 PM »
I'd agree with tj.

I want as many people as possible to move to the Bay area, but seriously, UMN is a better deal here.  Just prepare for some motherfucking COLD winters.  And long ones, to boot.  But you'll only be there 5-6 years, max.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
Here's a handy link regarding placement of recent UMN grads:

http://www.law.umn.edu/cpdc/prospectivestudents

It doesn't list Chicago specifically, but if you look at the class of 2005 placement stats, you'll see that 10% of the class went to East North Central, which includes IL (Chicago).  Your chances are probably pretty good. 
2L