Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How long will you hold onto your waitlists?  (Read 2224 times)

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
How long will you hold onto your waitlists?
« on: June 11, 2007, 03:53:08 AM »
Anyone set a date in their mind where they will give up on the waiting list and go to one of their accepted schools? 

Personally I'm probably going to withdraw from my accepted schools, hold out on the waiting list until school starts, and then retake the LSAT and apply again.

So what's your date?
Boston College Class of 2011!

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
Re: How long will you hold onto your waitlists?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 11:37:56 AM »
So what's your date?

Soon. This week, probably. I'm not really going to go to any of my WL schools at this point. They're all comparable to Emory, and while some of them have a more favorable location, I really couldn't hold out any longer on getting housing and such settled.
VIP.

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:41:27 AM »
Good luck to you on withdrawing.  I did that two weeks ago, and it was scary but definitely the right thing to do.

As for waitlists, I think I'll stay on till Mid-July.  Later than that, I doubt I'll have enough time to find housing and handle relocating arrangements. 

If nothing by Mid-July, I'll start studying for the LSAT again... and relive this year.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 11:54:50 AM »
July 1. No suprising phonecall will be entertained after that date.
Washington University School of Law 2010

legally law

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:00:14 PM »
Anyone set a date in their mind where they will give up on the waiting list and go to one of their accepted schools? 

Personally I'm probably going to withdraw from my accepted schools, hold out on the waiting list until school starts, and then retake the LSAT and apply again.

So what's your date?

I'll be doing exactly what you plan to do.

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 12:04:25 PM »

So what's your date?

I'm going to my accepted school, but I'm staying on the dang waitlist.  $85?  I want definitive answer :)

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »

So what's your date?

I'm going to my accepted school, but I'm staying on the dang waitlist.  $85?  I want definitive answer :)

You are going to Harvard, but you are staying on Stanford's waitlist out of ego and curiosity?  Doesn't that seem a little selfish to you? There are others on the waitlist that would kill for a spot that you will probably be offered.  You are going to one of the best law schools in the country; isn't that enough?

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 12:40:35 PM »

So what's your date?

You are going to Harvard, but you are staying on Stanford's waitlist out of ego and curiosity?  Doesn't that seem a little selfish to you? There are others on the waitlist that would kill for a spot that you will probably be offered.  You are going to one of the best law schools in the country; isn't that enough?

Well first, it's not out of ego, it's out of curiosity.  I'm curious as to whether or not they will accept me (probably not) and how long they would wait to do so (I've heard horror stories of people being accepted in September).  Stanford was originally my dream school, so it's not like I'm waiting for a decision from a whole bunch of lower-ranked schools just so I can rack up acceptances on my LSN.  I immediately withdrew from all schools I knew I wouldn't attend during this process so things wouldn't be slowed down for others who did actually want to attend those schools or had those schools as dream schools and wanted  a decision so they could make their decisions.  Second of all, I have deferred a year from Harvard, but if I want to "undefer" for Stanford, since I've been waitlisted from Stanford, I can do that if I want. Since I don't have to uproot midsummer, I could still decide to go to Stanford and defer.  Since I live in Cali, that's not completely out of the question.  And, contrary to what you said, I wouldn't be taking anyone else's spot or slowing down the process.  I'm on the waitlist, so if they finally accept me, they call and if I decline, they immediately call the next person on the list that they would accept.

I don't think it's like if I was accepted to Harvard, then refused to defer from UVA, GULC, and Michigan's regular decision programs just to see - that really does slow down the process.  The process is already over for Stanford - they'll accept maybe 20 people max from the waitlist, and they're not waiting for that May 1 deposit deadline to accept others en masse.  While I do think it's pretty selfish if people don't withdraw from schools they KNOW they won't attend just to rack up acceptances, once it's in the waitlist stage and it's a school you would consider attending or a dream school, I don't think it's quite the same.

In any case, I highly doubt I would be offered a spot.  They've had my app for like 9 months - if they don't know by now if they want me, they don't want me.

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 12:49:46 PM »
Sorry for jumping on your case.  I'm just on (waitlist) edge right now.

jd2bee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 01:16:23 PM »
Sorry for jumping on your case.  I'm just on (waitlist) edge right now.

No worries - it was a valid question and statement - I'm glad you asked it.  I'd probably be on waitlist edge if not for the deferral - I don't have to make moving plans anytime in the near future or worry about housing, insurance, loans, etc. yet.