Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: where should i go for undergraduate?  (Read 3568 times)

sunyo

• View Profile
    • Email
where should i go for undergraduate?
« on: June 10, 2007, 01:42:35 PM »
I've been accepted into Rutgers-New Bruinswick. They have an excellent undergraduate philosophy program and since I'm instate I'd be going there for real, real cheap. I've also been accepted to UMich; they have a top-3 political science program, but its going to cost a load of money. Since I want to go to law school eventually (during which time my sister will start her undergraduate), I'm having a difficult time making this decision. 4 Years @ RU will cost less than 1 year at UMich for me. Any opinions/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Btw, I am a motivated and a hard worker, it's just that I'm a bit uncertain about this.
Thanks.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: where should i go for undergraduate?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 06:18:14 PM »
Go to Rutgers and major in general studies.

That is the best thing you can do for your law school future.

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 06:19:28 PM »
Law schools don't care what undergrad you go to, as long as you keep up a decent GPA/LSAT. On a cost/benefit level, go with the cheap state school. OTOH, you might enjoy Mich much more.

skier4life

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 07:19:28 PM »
yeah there is a reason law school is filled with political science majors. It is usually one of the top 5 easiest programs at most universities, so as a result they get good enough grades to get into law school even though they are boozing 5 nights a week.  And they all have misguided, self-righteous opinions to boot.

ericptk2000

• MSU' 10
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:26:42 PM »
I would say go to Rutgers and spend the saved money on LSAT preperation!  Granted that would be a ton of money on LSAT prep, but the LSAT will probably be the biggest factor in their decision.  With that being said, you may change your mind about wanting to go to law school in which case, UofM would probably be a much better choice!!
Bumpersticker and Laptop (Attending): MSU '10
Bumpersticker (In): Pitt, Case($), MSU($$$$), Loyola, Cincinnatti($), Toledo ($$$$)
I'm sorry can you hold (WL): American
Dropped call (OUT): OSU

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 07:32:40 PM »
Just from personal experience, I went to a much cheaper state school rather than going out of state.  I don't think I am at any disadvantage compared to those who went to Yale or Stanford and are now attending the same law school I am, and I don't think my chances at getting into a higher-ranked school would have been helped much by going to a higher-ranked undergrad. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 07:35:04 PM »
Just from personal experience, I went to a much cheaper state school rather than going out of state.  I don't think I am at any disadvantage compared to those who went to Yale or Stanford and are now attending the same law school I am, and I don't think my chances at getting into a higher-ranked school would have been helped much by going to a higher-ranked undergrad. 

Did you want to be a lawyer when you were 18?

I was leaning that way, yes, and the more classes I took and the more I read the more I figured out that's what I wanted to do and would be good at. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 07:37:48 PM »
I went to a lower ranked school also.

One thing to consider is the atmosphere. At my state school, there was virtually zero intellectual stimulation, which I chalked in large part to the average 1050 SAT scores. If you're fairly independent and self-driven, yes, but at lower-ranked state schools it is very easy to just sink in with the crowd.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 07:43:14 PM »
I went to a lower ranked school also.

One thing to consider is the atmosphere. At my state school, there was virtually zero intellectual stimulation, which I chalked in large part to the average 1050 SAT scores. If you're fairly independent and self-driven, yes, but at lower-ranked state schools it is very easy to just sink in with the crowd.

That may be true (although my school had around a 1200 average  ;)).  There are always going to be smart people there--just fewer percentage-wise of the total population.  And I've been told hot girls usually go to state universities in higher proportions.  This is also something to consider.   
CLS '10

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 07:53:58 PM »
another thing to consider: many big state schools have honor colleges. Honors only classes generally have a better student body and are more stimulating overall. If Rutgers has one, look seriously into it.