Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sudden twist in my admissions -- Brooklyn vs Miami  (Read 1542 times)

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden twist in my admissions -- Brooklyn vs Miami
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 02:35:21 AM »
I think your career prospects are better coming out of Miami. Brooklyn has to compete against cardozo, NYU, Fordham. Miami is mainly against UF and FSU.

this is true.  but while the competition there is greater, there are more jobs.  i think my chances of living comfortably in miami are greater.  like i can have the same salary--maybe 70-75k, but that money in miami goes much farther.

Define "much" further. Miami is still a very expensive place to live. It isn't going to take you as far as $75k wouldin Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Atlanta, etc.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 02:08:48 PM »
well im just waiting to get a call back from the admissions officer right now.  i called her about 30 mins ago.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

dante500

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lookin' forward to livin' the life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 02:43:17 PM »
donvito,

r u from brazil, or are your parents? my wife's a 'zilian, and we've been a bunch of times... i just find it funny that a brazilian would complain about humidity (or not so much complain as to mention at all).  just an abservation leading to a query...

i'd go miami. big fish in a big pond, instead of mid-sized mackeral in an ocean.  also, the obvious latin american connections don't need to be stated.  from what i've seen and read, and this will have to be anecdotal as I can't recall sources to cite, miami is the city ranking third in 'most international law practiced in it,' after NYC and LA.  take from that what you wish (if anything)...

best of luck. hopefully i see you at miami.
I once told a woman that I coined the phrase "pardon my French."

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 07:12:40 PM »
donvito,

r u from brazil, or are your parents? my wife's a 'zilian, and we've been a bunch of times... i just find it funny that a brazilian would complain about humidity (or not so much complain as to mention at all).  just an abservation leading to a query...

i'd go miami. big fish in a big pond, instead of mid-sized mackeral in an ocean.  also, the obvious latin american connections don't need to be stated.  from what i've seen and read, and this will have to be anecdotal as I can't recall sources to cite, miami is the city ranking third in 'most international law practiced in it,' after NYC and LA.  take from that what you wish (if anything)...

best of luck. hopefully i see you at miami.

i was born and raised here in california--im used to pleasant dry weather.  but my parents are from brazil.  the thing is that both come from dry places.  my dad from brasilia, where the weather is arid and similar to southern california.  my mom comes from sao paulo, which isnt particularly humid either.  you really only find humidity on the coasts and in the amazon, where im not from.

the big fish in a small pond is a personal thing.  some people like, some don't.  i think it might not be the best for me, but i do think that i can succeed in both places.  if i want to go to miami, i can later on in my life.  i'll just have to see for myself.  i actually found a reasonably priced ticket to NYC that leaves tomorrow and i've arranged some tours.  i just have to talk to these people face to face to get an idea.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

dante500

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lookin' forward to livin' the life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 07:14:08 PM »
i'll just have to see for myself.  i actually found a reasonably priced ticket to NYC that leaves tomorrow and i've arranged some tours.  i just have to talk to these people face to face to get an idea.

Best idea right there.  Best fit for you is the best fit period.  Best of luck... still hope you end up at Miami, but you gotta do what's best for you.

Good luck.
I once told a woman that I coined the phrase "pardon my French."

nycesq2005

• AOL Instant Messenger - NYCESQ2005
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 12:33:42 PM »
OP

Check your email/inbox. I sent you a private message. I had a similar decision to makem except it was Bklyn v. American (for international law). I chose Bklyn. Feel free to write back with specific q's after you read my message.

Good luck!