Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: crap ugrad record  (Read 3036 times)

brklyngrl

• View Profile
crap ugrad record
« on: June 10, 2007, 01:31:42 AM »
Is a crappy ugrad record (flunked out of one school, 2 semesters with all Ws, 2 F inocmpletes and  a D) b;anced out by an OK GPA-- 3.6?  Went to a state school.   have a great LSAT, and am wondering if I really have a shot.  I'm in NYC and would need to get inot an NYC school.

just call me elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • pink, puppies, Crimson, and I belong together
    • View Profile
Re: crap ugrad record
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 04:46:06 AM »
just how great is the lsat?

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 11:05:52 AM »
Your UGPA counts less the longer you've been out of school. Then they look more at your experience, and any futher education you may have had.  You have show improvement, and you will need to make a quick statement about your past performance, and what you did to change.

My 1st semester at T.U. I had a 1.11 GPA. I graduated in '98.  I got accepted this year to 5 of 7 schools, waitlisted at 1, and denied at 1.

I recommend going back to your alma matter and speaking to a Pre-Law Advisor.  I also found a prfessor I liked and got a letter of recommendation from him. His class wasn't my best class but I remembered him, and his lessons and I was able to show how he made an impact on my career.  He was impressed (I showed some stones coming to him 10 years later) and wrote a strong recommendation for a C+ student.

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 03:22:55 PM »
My LSAT was 177.  My overall UGRAD GPA was 3.57, but as I mentioned, this covers 3 schools, 2 withdrawn semesters, a cuple of Fs, and 2 semesters of straight Fs at  first school.

While I am down a few notches from you, maybe my experience will be relevant. I have similar WF's, five transcripts, an embarassing WF from Grad school (History/Education, blech!). My UGPA was around 3.4, but LSAC brought it to 2.92 and LSAT was 162. Not only that, I had a downward trend in my last year of UG. However, that was 8 yrs ago and I have alot of completely irrelevant work experience in between (big help, right?). Somehow this all adds up to a Tier 1 acceptance w/ scholly and a WL at another Tier 1.
Your 177 should cure almost all the ills if you can present a compelling narrative of how you grew through the process. I wouldn't rule out any school if you have a compelling story. If you don't have a compelling story, I suggest you get one.

Good luck
I can sell you one ;D.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:51:44 PM »
My LSAT was 177.  My overall UGRAD GPA was 3.57, but as I mentioned, this covers 3 schools, 2 withdrawn semesters, a cuple of Fs, and 2 semesters of straight Fs at  first school.

All that matters is your LSAT and LSAC GPA... 177/3.57 is damned good. Plus, with a couple of years of work experience, you're looking pretty good.
VIP.

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 04:55:24 PM »
As everyone ekse said... you should be fine.

And WaveLaw.. I'm glad I'm not the only one with an embarrassing WF in grad school. Although mine's from an incomplete I never bothered to repair. Fortunately, ten years ago in the fall and it was all along with the lack of caring in undergrad. My lsat's higher, but my UGPA is lower. Alas. I'm thinking I'll be ok.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 05:01:58 PM »
You're in good company.  A lot of we old folks had heinous undergrad records and high LSATs, and we all seemed to do just fine.  :D

How wedded are you to the idea of going to school in NYC?  (Not, by the way, that I think you'll have a problem getting in.)  When I was at this stage I was dead-set against leaving NYC for law school, and now I'm a 2L at Michigan.  I miss NY (and have confirmed that I hate living in the midwest), but I still think that I made the right decision - I love my school to an embarrassing degree.  Anyway, you may want to consider throwing a few non-NY applications out there if you connect with any of the other schools. 

Good luck!
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 12:03:33 PM »
If you got a 177/3.57 you're not just getting into a NYC school, you're probably getting into any NYC school. Good luck, to whatever degree you need that :p

Papagena

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 01:18:34 PM »
I think you will be fine.  I was accepted to all three schools I applied to and had similar problems with my undergraduate record.

I wrote an addendum for my transcripts/grades with very brief, matter of fact explanations for each issue (why I stopped and started attending several schools, why I had a few really bad grades a few years, etc.). 

FWIW, my LSAT score is significantly lower than yours; my cumulative LSAC GPA including all the screw ups (one real D and 2 no credit grades that LSAC calculated as Fs, even though my school didn't) is 3.6. 

Beurre

• Sr. Citizen
  • coming soon,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 04:03:42 PM »
Just out of sheer desperation...

How did you do soooo well on your LSAT?

What did you do to get 177?

Can you share some tips?

thaks