Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP! St. John's ($) full time vs. Brooklyn part time  (Read 1993 times)

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HELP! St. John's ($) full time vs. Brooklyn part time
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 09:26:22 AM »
Hmm, that's contrary to what I've heard from St John's students I've spoken to, both on campus and off, current and graduates. In fact, several of them stressed the non-competitive environment of the school, so I guess it's a subjective judgement. I'll let you know this time next year whether it's accurate or not.
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 09:33:26 AM »
I'm kinda going with The Avatar's advice about NYC placement (I assume this is what you want, since your schools seems to be focused on that area). Behind CLS, NYU and Fordham (and Cornell), there's pretty even match for jobs between BLS, Dozo, St. John's, Rutger's etc. One might even add in the tier 3 schools there. I don't think BLS would improve your employment chances enough to be worth giving up money for. However, that depends if you got $30k extra to burn or not. I would probably pick BLS, but if the money is an issue, St. John's is the 'best value' option.

nydcli12

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 09:52:23 AM »
Thanks for the insight/thoughts/comments/opinions, (especially nycesq2005).  I was leaning towards St. John's anyway, and this all seems to confirm what I was thinking.  For all the St. John's folks on this board, see you in the fall!

basal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 10:05:48 AM »
Hmm, that's contrary to what I've heard from St John's students I've spoken to, both on campus and off, current and graduates. In fact, several of them stressed the non-competitive environment of the school, so I guess it's a subjective judgement. I'll let you know this time next year whether it's accurate or not.
Rob

I'm sorry but you've been misinformed. My friend told me about a time when he was in class, and some student asked if she could get more homework (meaning, more HW for the class). I've also heard of stories of missing pages found in books borrowed from the library. True, this is all hearsay but at least take the warning signs. St. John's (if I remember correctly) is #1 or #2 on the Most Competitive School list by Princeton Review.

Good luck anyway!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 10:07:20 AM »
I'm sorry but you've been misinformed. My friend told me about a time when he was in class, and some student asked if she could get more homework (meaning, more HW for the class). I've also heard of stories of missing pages found in books borrowed from the library. True, this is all hearsay but at least take the warning signs. St. John's (if I remember correctly) is #1 or #2 on the Most Competitive School list by Princeton Review.

Good luck anyway!

120 for PR, not you.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007, 01:59:51 PM »
Rob

Good luck anyway!

Well, it appears that your friend had the bad luck as to run into some troublesome issues, whereas the people I spoke with never encountered any such problems (or at least spoke of them). As I said, I guess it's a subjective judgement, rather than anyone necessarily being misinformed. But I'll be happy to offer my experience next year on how competitive it is...
Rob

PS: Your friends that say it's really competitive are all ones who couldn't stay in the top half of the class and maintain their scholarships? Is it possible that their perception of the competitiveness is colored by their failure to keep their scholarships?
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY