Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seton Hall Law vs Drexel Law please help me decide  (Read 7714 times)

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
Re: Seton Hall Law vs Drexel Law please help me decide
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 02:03:12 PM »
A couple of thoughts...

A majority of small firms pay in the 40's-60's that's just reality...MIDlaw (ID) would pay more, but do you want to do that?  Alot of the hiring partners from what I've heard in Philly have loyalty to Nova or Temple...If Drexel was throwing $$, then I would consider it, otherwise why would you NOT go with the more experienced schools.

A Drexel degree is not going to open up any magical doors to you outside of Philly. I just don't see it happening.  The undergrad is largly known as a Philly school (I went there) and I imagine the same being the case for the law school.  Hell, Temple is known as a "Philly school" by some.

Stateofbeasley, I would like to hear more of your thoughts about the Philly legal market, both private and public. I'm actually not going to school in Philly, but that's one of my spots to possibly return to because I'm from there.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 06:48:10 PM »
Well it pretty much seems like you have your mind made up.  Good luck.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 10:28:01 PM »
Well it pretty much seems like you have your mind made up.  Good luck.

Seconded.  You're going to need all that luck...

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 07:42:46 AM »
What could happen if a school doesn't get accreditation:

--------------------
Court rebuffs Barry grads
--------------------
By Scott Powers
Sentinel Staff Writer

May 17, 2002

The Florida Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the first 111 graduates of the Barry University School of Law in Orlando cannot become lawyers in this state.

Citing its own rules, the court said students who graduated before February 2001 cannot be allowed to take the bar exam because Barry was too far from accreditation at the time.

The decision dealt a crushing blow to students like Robin Drage, 44, who is wondering what to do now with a law degree that cost more than $60,000 in tuition, required countless hours of study, and caused sacrifices for her family.

"We're devastated. No one anticipated this result," said Drage, who earned her degree from Barry in January 2001.

One word....OUCH.

Two words....Seton Hall
IU-B '10

algeriaf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 02:08:09 PM »
I went to Drexel as an undergrad and when I started considering law school, Drexel was just starting their program and I was unsure about what to expect. I went to the orientation, and this is what I can tell you. The Drexel University name itself does open doors and there is no reason to assume that their law school won't live up to the same standards as their other programs. Also, if the law school continue to exhibit the same culture and attitude that I saw at the orientation and if it strives to attain the same respect that Drexel's other programs possess, I do agree that in a few years they will move up significantly in rankings. They have a great coop, local recognition, and plenty of loyal alums. I've also gone to graduate school and worked in the field and people have always been familiar with this institution. However, the reality is that it is unfortunate that they could not offer you more money. Drexel is notorious for the shaft (I speak from experience here). If I were you, I would write to them expressing my sincere desire to attend the University and explaining that the cost is a big hinderance. If they can offer you a scholarship (with their endowment they should be able too), I'd move forward with them. If not, Seton Hall is already accredited, decently ranked, and not a bad alternative. Ultimately, if you bust your butt in law school and stay proactive, you can accomplish great things in either school. Good luck.

algeriaf

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 03:48:21 PM »
I do agree that that may be a better option and that if you bust your butt doing these things you will increase your odds for another school. But the question wasn't, "should I re-study, re-take the LSAT and reapply, hoping I fare better". It was, which should I consider, Seton Hall or Drexel.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 04:40:30 PM »
I too was a victim of the "shaft" for a year, and I too don't necessarily have anything bad to say about DU law. I know a highly ambitious girl who ended up there and loves it.  My only beef is, if you plan to practice in Philly or in the NE in general, and you have Nova as an option, why not take it unless Drexel has offered GOOD $$, which they apparently didn't.
IU-B '10

nycesq2005

• AOL Instant Messenger - NYCESQ2005
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 04:43:54 PM »
I suggest the OP read this thread for additional insight about his decision:

http://jdunderground.com/thread.php?threadId=1698

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 04:47:54 PM »
And that's not even XOXO
IU-B '10

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
IU-B '10