Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many LOCI's are appropriate?  (Read 1865 times)

caligirl404

• View Profile
How many LOCI's are appropriate?
« on: June 08, 2007, 07:57:39 PM »
I've been waitlisted at a couple schools and have already sent in two LOCI's.  I know most people say that you should sent one in every 3-4 weeks or if there are any significant changes in your application/resume, etc.  Is there such a thing as sending too many LOCI's...I mean obviously I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate one every other day or so but should the number be capped around 3 or something?  Thanks for your help!

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
Re: How many LOCI's are appropriate?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 08:28:27 PM »
I personally don't know how to send more than one.  What new things would you write?

I have sent in updated resumes, though, as my resume has changed.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 08:45:02 PM »
I really can't see the benefit of sending more than one, unless you actually have something substantial to update with. I'm sure no damage will be done by sending two either, but if you're going to send them a new LOCI every 3rd week you're probably going to cause more annoyance than good.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 08:58:03 PM »
i'd say if you sent one in when you were first waitlisted, wait until after the second deposit deadline and send another.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 09:06:13 PM »
True, after deposit deadline is probably a good idea.

sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 04:54:05 PM »
Now is not the time to be timid. If you know you want to go to the school where you are waitllisted, then tell them that. Frequent contact is fine as long as it is constructive. You can always simply state in you subsequent LOCIs that it has been x amount of time since you checked in and you want adcom to know that school x remains your top choice. ask them if they are at liberity to discuss with you when/if they plan to turn to the wait list. hth.

cath84

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 01:18:20 PM »
For my top choice school, I sent a LOCI about every 3-4 weeks, each letter highlighting in detail a specific aspect of the school or a particular program that I thought I could contribute to and why I liked that program/characteristic of the school. I also reiterated in each letter that I would unquestionably attend if admitted. As far as timing goes, I sent my very last one so that it would arrive at the school and be read just before or around the deposit deadline, so that when it was time for them to admit people off the waitlist, my name would be fresh in their minds. I figured that they would be looking at the waitlist as soon as possible after they knew what the class was going to look like so that they could get going on filling up the class. I was admitted to my top choice during the first round of admits that they did off the waitlist, so I guess I did something right. (The extra letter of recommendation probably helped too).

For another school, I wrote a nice LOCI right after I was waitlisted and then was admitted a couple months later without sending any other LOCIs, so I guess it really depends on the school. I feel that for this second school, I probably could have sent maybe one more LOCI, but obviously it wasn't necessary.

cath84

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 01:20:38 PM »
Oh, and one more thing- If you're doubtful as to how you should carry out your contact with the school, you could call them and ask what they prefer as far as updating them goes- phone calls, emails, letters, etc.

cath84

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 01:25:28 PM »
And one more thing to add- I think especially as we get later and later into the summer, people on waiting lists lose interest in attending those schools (and are probably less likely to change their plans), so they don't continue their contact with the school. If you are willing to wait it out, I'd keep in regular (i.e. every 3-4 weeks) contact with the school, so the school knows that you are still interested and actively pursuing them. That way, when they go to offer admission off the waiting list, they don't have to make 5 offers of admission from the waitlist to get 1 student- they can make one offer to get one student (hopefully, you!), which gives them a better yield. That's just from what I've read in some books. It makes sense to me.