Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on Sopranos Series Finale?  (Read 5052 times)

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Sopranos Series Finale?
« on: June 08, 2007, 07:25:47 PM »
Will be this Sunday night...

Anyone have any predictions?  It seems like they have a lot to wrap up in just one episode.  How will Tony's fight with Phil end?  What will happen to AJ, Meadow, and Carm?  What's the deal with the FBI thing? 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Thoughts on Sopranos Series Finale?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 02:32:03 PM »
I used to care, but I'm disappointed with this entire season. AJ has another unsuccessful suicide attempt by lighting himself on fire and he joins the circus. Meadow marries the guy who Tony nearly killed and they have seven kids and live in Hackensack. Carmella finds Adriana's body, goes crazy, and eats the remains. She becomes a witch doctor and resurrects Christopher, who kills Tony with a cleaver. Phil retires to Del Boca Vista (phase IV) and has Carmine run for president of the condo board, but Phil will be the man in charge and pull the strings of his puppet regime. Unfortunately, Carmine's present of tip calculators to the board backfires when they're found to be faulty; the board assassinates Carmine. Distraught, Phil cuts out his own liver and eats it. Meanwhile, back in New Jersey, everyone else who was ever on the show is killed by terrorists.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

hhhheey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 03:47:53 PM »
Did anyone notice in the last episode when AJ was watching tv-some military stuff where they talked about suicide missions and getting revenge on past wrongs? I think the whole "AJ is crazy and suicidal" story line has a purpose. My prediction is tony and the NJ guys left are all wiped out and AJ ends up somehow sacrificing himself for revenge or that AJ goes on a suicide mission and consequently "saves the day".

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 03:49:45 PM »
Did anyone notice in the last episode when AJ was watching tv-some military stuff where they talked about suicide missions and getting revenge on past wrongs? I think the whole "AJ is crazy and suicidal" story line has a purpose. My prediction is tony and the NJ guys left are all wiped out and AJ ends up somehow sacrificing himself for revenge or that AJ goes on a suicide mission and consequently "saves the day".

I don't see AJ playing a big part in the finale (or Carm or Meadow either, except maybe to just give some closure).  I think the military stuff was in there to establish a parallel between AJ and Tony (Tony is always watching History Channel stuff, and they also share this depression thing). 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 04:55:59 PM »
I don't see AJ playing a big part in the finale (or Carm or Meadow either, except maybe to just give some closure).

I disagree.  AJ will be the only Soprano who dies in the finale.  Paulie will be the only member of his crew who dies.  Sil will remain in a coma which will symbolize the DeMeo family's status once the blood has settled.  We will not get the closure that 6 Feet Under gave us.  Just as it seems that Tony would go witness protection, he won't and the complete and utter lack of character arcs that defined this show will be complete.  Last shot will be of Melfi.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:57:55 PM »
I don't see AJ playing a big part in the finale (or Carm or Meadow either, except maybe to just give some closure).

I disagree.  AJ will be the only Soprano who dies in the finale.  Paulie will be the only member of his crew who dies.  Sil will remain in a coma which will symbolize the DeMeo family's status once the blood has settled.  We will not get the closure that 6 Feet Under gave us.  Just as it seems that Tony would go witness protection, he won't and the complete and utter lack of character arcs that defined this show will be complete.  Last shot will be of Melfi.

@#!* guys  :-\

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 07:18:17 PM »

I disagree.  AJ will be the only Soprano who dies in the finale.  Paulie will be the only member of his crew who dies.  Sil will remain in a coma which will symbolize the DeMeo family's status once the blood has settled. We will not get the closure that 6 Feet Under gave us.  Just as it seems that Tony would go witness protection, he won't and the complete and utter lack of character arcs that defined this show will be complete.  Last shot will be of Melfi.

Agreed.  In fact, given the countless loose ends Chase has left in his plotlines over the years, virtually anything could happen.

I heard on the radio yesterday that the guy who plays Paulie (Tony Sirico) has in his contract a stipulation that his character never becomes a "rat."  Supposedly, he was an actual gangster before Scorcese gave him his 'big break' and cast him in GoodFellas (I have no idea whether this is true).  ETA: a quick check of IMDB shows he's been acting since the 80's, so take what I just posted with a grain of salt.
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »
Paulie might not be talking to the feds, but he COULD be talking to Phil, et al. 

David Chase talks a lot about the lack of closure in many of the plotlines--life doesn't always have closure.  Not everything in life fits together, and it won't in the finale tomorrow either.   
CLS '10

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 07:30:56 PM »
I heard they're making a movie? If that's true they can't kill off Tony.

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 07:39:35 PM »
I doubt the claims about a movie in the works.  Both Chase and Gandolfini have stated publicly that they are basically sick of this show and are ready to move on.  Chase actually wanted to end it two seasons ago but was convinced to continue. 
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.