Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MBA to Law School  (Read 2661 times)

1bizzy1

• View Profile
MBA to Law School
« on: June 08, 2007, 04:49:45 AM »
So I know this is a bit backward, but after working at a sweatshop investment bank on Wall Street and then as a NYC biglawfirm as a paralegal, I thought b-school would be a good idea, so I fired up a top-10 school and $80,000 in debt. I waited until my last quarter of b-school and then took Business Law (a pretty gut survey course, unlike "real law school") and LOVED IT.  I realize now that I made a mistake--I'd rather be back in law.  I am even envious of the work that the General Counsel of my firm does--I sit near him all day and think, "I could do that!"

Is it crazy talk to want to go to law school if it's something I've been thinking about for years? I would be 31 when I finished law school, so not crazy old, but not 25 either.  And well over $200,000 in debt too. 

Does anyone have any insight on whether the AdComm would look upon my MBA favorably, perhaps to mitigate my 3.3ish GPA from a Top-5 undergrad school?  Any help appreciated--I know that usually attorneys wish they had gone to b-school, but...I would be going into this with my eyes wide open, having worked at huge NYC corporate law firm.

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: MBA to Law School
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:19:33 AM »
Tag

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:26:13 PM »
bump

I think "I-banking vs. biglaw" would make a great discussion...

I'd go with biglaw...lower pay, but better hours, more interesting work (IMO...I'm not bad with numbers, but I don't find the idea of making pitchbooks over and over again very appealing), broaded career opportunities (although more money as an IB can = investment/VC opportunities and despite the valuable connections IB affords, I don't think it prepares someone for a direct jump to upper management in a different industry)

I think this is interesting too. I've had more than my fair share of people suggest I may as well "save some money" and go to B-school. As I live in the second largest banking town in the country I could get an MBA at the mall. I swear. LOL

While I've found business to be interesting - I've been in marketing and sales, lower middle management stuff - I also worry that an MBA in a town full of MBAs offers me the same lateral power as a law degree.

Honestly, I'm one of the few folks around here, I think, who already knows that I don't intend to practice law forever. I'm talking 7-10 years tops. I'll be 33/34 when I get out of LS so I have a few working years left. But as a woman and a POC, I just think that the upper levels of senior management would elude me no matter my business degree. With law I have a better shot, I feel, of making an equitable salary with slightly less office politics. That's just me being realistic. Not mention just walking into a bank makes my skin itch.

Fortunately, one of the things that comes with a little age is knowing the difference between something you are capable of doing and something you want to do. So I may be ok with marketing analysis and integrative planning - but the idea of doing it all day sounds like death to me.

But I find law to actually be interesting. AND a law degree, with the right contacts, can get you into finance if you decide you want to do it later. Not so in the reverse with a business degree. And then there's consulting, speaking, training, government, advocacy, policy centers, etc - law just feels more flexible to me.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
If you write a strong PS on why you want to make this move, I think it can be a good thing. If the adcomms feel that you're taking a MBA and JD just to cover all bases, they might consider you as somewhat undecided. But it sounds like you've really thought it true and know what you want. Your age isn't an issue at all imo. The debt somewhat is of course, $200k is a big chunk when it doesn't even buy you an apartment.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 01:16:49 PM »

Does anyone have any insight on whether the AdComm would look upon my MBA favorably, perhaps to mitigate my 3.3ish GPA from a Top-5 undergrad school?  Any help appreciated--I know that usually attorneys wish they had gone to b-school, but...I would be going into this with my eyes wide open, having worked at huge NYC corporate law firm.

Your work experience will play a bigger role than your MBA in mitigating your ugrad GPA.

Sounds like you'd rather be a lawyer, so I say go for it.  As for the debt, maybe you might want to hold off on going to law school and earn an MBA-level i-banking salary for a year or two in order to pay off your debt.  $200,000 in debt will be difficult to pay off quickly, even as an MBA/JD.
Yale.Law.School.2010

1bizzy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 11:03:32 PM »
Thanks for all of the encouragement.  I actually just accepted a job where I will be making a six-figure salary minimum, but still plan to fire up the JD in year or two.  So I will probably enter with about $40,000 in debt if all goes well.  Here's hoping. 

I gave a lot of thought to the JD/MBA thing a few years ago--talked with people at my firm, alums, friends, etc.  I even turned down Northwestern/ LawKellogg because their three years for both degrees program scared me.  But since I can't get the whole "I wanna be a corporate lawyer" phase out of my head, I figure that I might as well fire up the JD before I am old and regret not doing it.

My biggest concern honestly is not the debt.  It's having kids.  Fertility rates start dropping around age 28, and freefall at age 34, so I am going to be building my career at the same time I want to pop out kids.  Somehting's gotta give, and I know that in biglaw, it's kids.  Ouch.  That's scary.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
My biggest concern honestly is not the debt.  It's having kids.  Fertility rates start dropping around age 28, and freefall at age 34, so I am going to be building my career at the same time I want to pop out kids.  Somehting's gotta give, and I know that in biglaw, it's kids.  Ouch.  That's scary.

Adoption is your friend. Plenty of kids need a loving mom and dad.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 01:40:59 PM »
please explain the correct usage and origin of the term "fire up" so that others may adopt it...
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

1bizzy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 02:02:48 AM »
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, so I will take the bait. 

When, above, I said I "fired up a top MBA," meant that I did it--applied, went, got good grades, graduated.  There's no double entendre or innuendo intended.

Essentially, if someone offers you tabasco sauce, you say, "Fire it up!"  If someone says, "Find the GD Jones file!" at work, you can answer, "Certainly, I'll fire it up."  It's a good catch-all, enthusiastic term.  I think it has banking origins--trader speak.  Anyway, I like "Fire it Up!" and will keep on keepin on with it.

Fire it up!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:59:22 AM »
and then pass it.