Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JAG OFFICER PROGRAM  (Read 2593 times)

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: JAG OFFICER PROGRAM
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 01:51:20 PM »
make no mistake about it, i am definitely not scared of being deployed!  i just wanted to at least finish law school...then if i get deployed, semper fi baby

well, my reasoning on why to join now was because i have a year to kill before i go since im taking a defferment.  also, i could use the extra money, get the training out of the way, etc.

i was hoping for a 3 year deployment waiver...

i am definitely going to look into jag post law school start.  i thought maybe by being a reservist before i applied it would help me with the competition at least.  the coast guard, i didnt mean they NEVER get deployed, but i just thought it would be safer bet to stay inland till at least im done. 

my theory rested simply on i have a year before i actually go now, so i just wanted to get it out of the way.
i want to be a jag really bad.  i went to a military college and i refused my commission at the time because i had a very lucrative business offer which i took and i dont regret it. 

but i want to serve and i want to put some time in, and whether im a jag or not i still want to join the marines for the reserves...but i definitely want to finish law school in the first 3 years with no intermissions.

"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 02:42:01 PM »
Sounds pretty risky to me if your main goal is to finish LS in 3 years.  I know very little about the USMC and deployment waivers, but I would venture that would be pretty hard to come by at this point.

Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 02:44:38 PM »
make no mistake about it, i am definitely not scared of being deployed!  i just wanted to at least finish law school...then if i get deployed, semper fi baby

well, my reasoning on why to join now was because i have a year to kill before i go since im taking a defferment.  also, i could use the extra money, get the training out of the way, etc.

i was hoping for a 3 year deployment waiver...

i am definitely going to look into jag post law school start.  i thought maybe by being a reservist before i applied it would help me with the competition at least.  the coast guard, i didnt mean they NEVER get deployed, but i just thought it would be safer bet to stay inland till at least im done. 

my theory rested simply on i have a year before i actually go now, so i just wanted to get it out of the way.
i want to be a jag really bad.  i went to a military college and i refused my commission at the time because i had a very lucrative business offer which i took and i dont regret it. 

but i want to serve and i want to put some time in, and whether im a jag or not i still want to join the marines for the reserves...but i definitely want to finish law school in the first 3 years with no intermissions.

Whooah!  Welcome to the party!

jwd03

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 06:02:08 PM »
Let me put this in the most clear of terms: Do not join the Marine Corps until you have started and substantially completed law school.  As someone who is currently Active Duty in the Navy and having law school aspirations, it is very difficult, if not impossible to transfer to JAG.  If you join prior to securing a JAG spot, you have effectively thrown away every piece of leverage you could possibly have.  You need to exert some patience here, go to school and then join the Marines via there JAG commisioning program.  Do not try to get cute with this decision.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 11:58:09 PM »
very well then, i will heed to the advice.  you are right, if i join now they throw me on front lines and say too bad...

thanks! i was about to sign the dotted line!

mrsdclare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mrsdclare
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - mrsdclare
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 12:04:54 AM »
I researched the Marine Corps PLC Law Program very thoroughly.  I completed the application process and was selected to attend the PLC program for OCS. I was about 90 days from shipping out.  I decided not to join after all due to the fact that my husband is in the Coast Guard.  Initially we thought they would co-locate us but found out at the last minute that was not the case.  Long story short, if you are serious and want to know the facts, message me.  Many of the previous posts do not have the facts straight. 
Pending:  UC Hastings, USF, McGeorge, UC Davis, Santa Clara

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 11:53:44 PM »
won't you be so kind as to share?
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 11:10:04 AM »
yes please share!  i sent mrsdclare a message, hopefully she gets back to me soon!