Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Final Verdict on Asians and URM  (Read 1393 times)

owlsmid17

• View Profile
Final Verdict on Asians and URM
« on: June 08, 2007, 01:40:39 AM »
I did a little backtracking, and this question has already been breached, in a matter of speaking (http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,52463.0.html), but it would not appear as if a conclusion on it was actually reached.

The simple question is, do Asians qualify as an URM, particularly if said Asian is Vietnamese? As previously demonstrated, it doesn't help you in regards to undergrad, but what effect does it have in regards to law school admissions (independent of numbers, is it a strength or a weakness, as far as an admission factor is concerned)? LSAC seems to indicate that we are an underrepresented group ("Only 1 in 25 lawyers look like you! Woot!" = http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/lsac/minorities-in-legal-education.asp), but much of the discussion on this board seems to indicate otherwise; even going to the point of advising prospective Asian prelaws to hide their heritage on their apps (lest we be forced to compete against each other). I am of mixed heritage (half-Vietnamese, half-Arab...dinner at my house is always interesting), and I plan to detail how growing up in a multicultural household (family reunions were always a lot of fun; everybody is yelling and laughing, but nobody has any idea what the other half of the family is saying) has helped me develop as an individual, etc. in my diversity statement or PS, but can such a classification even hurt me when applying to various T14 law schools?

If any adcomms happen to be reading this, and would like to provide some insight to end the discussion once and for all (PLEASE, PLEASE, for all that is good and holy, end it), it would be very helpful. Regardless of what the final verdict is, I plan on identifying myself ethnically either through my PS or in the little check box, but it would be nice to know what exactly I'm getting myself into.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later."

Randy Savage

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ooooooooooooh yeah!
    • View Profile
Re: Final Verdict on Asians and URM
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 04:47:15 PM »
Then again that guy never really knows what he's talking about.  Ignore him he's a retard.

Randy Savage

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ooooooooooooh yeah!
    • View Profile
Re: Final Verdict on Asians and URM
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:34:11 PM »
Then again that guy never really knows what he's talking about.  Ignore him he's a retard.

Wow, totally a lame attempt to spoof my account. If you look at the post count for the other one, it's a different person. It'll be kind of flattering once I get past the embarassment.
Now I'm using and old account in a lame attempt to claim my madness is the fault of some specter I conjured up in my wiskey haze.