Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help!!! Santa Clara or Hastings  (Read 1348 times)

misslaw

• View Profile
Help!!! Santa Clara or Hastings
« on: June 08, 2007, 01:16:17 AM »
Okay here is my problem:  I was planning to go to Santa Clara (I've already paid my deposits and I have $17k waiting for me there), so I've been looking around for places to live.  I found a really inexpensive apartment with brand new appliances, granite countertops, hardwood floors, etc.  I had completely made up my mind as far as which school I was going to, so I signed the lease on this apartment.

Naturally, the day after I signed the lease I found out I got into Hastings!  Hastings is technically between 45 min to 1.5 hours away from this place, and with the price of gas I don't think commuting is a good idea.  I can try to get out of my lease which will cost me (the landlord already cashed my deposit check).  I could have to end up paying a couple of months rent.  I would probably be out about $3k.

I should also mention that I applied to Hastings through their Legal Education Oppotunity Program.  Its a progam that allows students with gpas and lsat scores lower than what they typically take, but the student has  to go through this program.

Hasting is ranked 36 and SCU is ranked 91.  Any advice???
angel

dstyrhodes

• AOL Instant Messenger - DSTYRHODES
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Help!!! Santa Clara or Hastings
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 01:19:44 AM »
what apt complex is this?

misslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 01:27:01 AM »
its a tiny 9 unit apartment about 15 minutes away from SCU.  The area is not the greatest, but I couldn't pass up $925/mo with all of the upgrades.

But what about my crisis? ??? ???
angel

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 02:30:13 AM »
Go to Hastings, for sure.
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 02:58:10 AM »
Miss,

Hastings will give you many more opportunities than Santa Clara will.  And although the $$ at Santa Clara is enticing, it is also a more expensive school, so you wouldn't be saving that much.

I say this with all due respect to Santa Clara, it's a good school - but Hastings is by all measures a better school.
Feel free to contact me if you want more 411 on Hastings :-)
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 03:01:05 AM »
Hastings and it isn't even close.

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 04:06:22 AM »
I got into Santa Clara too, so I respect it as a school, but I think 36 vs. 91 is a huge difference.  I'd vote Hastings.  I am on the Davis waiting list (so I'd be in a similar situation with 34 vs. 91 if I got off it) and I'd take Davis no question.  If it helps at all, I might be moving to New Jersey and would move back to MN or WI if I got off a waiting list just to get into a higher ranked less expensive school. 

Sublease your apartment.  I'm sure there are tons of people moving there for school that would be happy to rent it!  Maybe Santa Clara even has a place somewhere that you could post it.
Boston College Class of 2011!

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:18:19 AM »
Hastings!

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 12:25:48 PM »
I'm not a rankings whore by any means, and think SCU is a great school with a surprising reputation for a lower T2, but Hastings is the right call here.

You won't regret it.  Also, you can come hang out with the rest of us in San Francisco.   :D
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 12:45:05 PM »
Hastings. It's a better ranked school, which gives you more opportunities. You're also right by the civil court house and the court admin building, the 9th circuit, and not far from the criminal court and lots of firms.