Law School Discussion

Poll

should recent immigrants be allowed to become lawyers of our country?

Yes
20 (90.9%)
No
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

should recent immigrants be allowed to become lawyers of our country?

LSATsage

• i am smart for obvious reasons
    • View Profile

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
you mean U.S. Attorneys?

AUSA?

Justice department?

or just regular attorneys?

Nobody should be an attorney in the US without going to law school imo. If an immigrant goes to law school and is proficient in the law, I don't see what's holding him back from being an attorney...

If the recent immigrant wants to be an attorney for the government, then there might be more of a problem because of security concerns etc.

Hello

I believe anyone who is qualified, capable, and proficient should be allowed to practice law in the US. It is a profession just like any other and under a free society should not exclude people because of their national origin. Immigrants can contribute to the betterment of the nation and the economy just as well as an American born citizen.

you mean U.S. Attorneys?

AUSA?

Justice department?

Nobody should be an attorney in the US without going to law school imo. If an immigrant goes to law school and is proficient in the law, I don't see what's holding him back from being an attorney...

If the recent immigrant wants to be an attorney for the government, then there might be more of a problem because of security concerns etc.

I believe that the issue of an immigrant wishing to become a government attorney should be taken into consideration on a contingency basis. Security checks should be in place for positions of authority in government for both citizens and recent immigrants. I don't believe in going in with the mindset that immigrants alone will be security concerns in positions of power. All individuals that seek these positions should be of good moral character and should undergo a screening process.

Then again, I'm a Canadian and we seem to be a bit more accepting of immigrants :)

Kirk Lazarus

• View Profile
you mean U.S. Attorneys?

AUSA?

Justice department?

I believe that the issue of an immigrant wishing to become a government attorney should be taken into consideration on a contingency basis. Security checks should be in place for positions of authority in government for both citizens and recent immigrants. I don't believe in going in with the mindset that immigrants alone will be security concerns in positions of power. All individuals that seek these positions should be of good moral character and should undergo a screening process.

Then again, I'm a Canadian and we seem to be a bit more accepting of immigrants :)

I think the issue is moot because I believe you have to be a citizen to work for the Fed. Gov't

you mean U.S. Attorneys?

AUSA?

Justice department?

I think the issue is moot because I believe you have to be a citizen to work for the Fed. Gov't

But I assume you would feel the same way in terms of security concerns for a recent immigrant that recently attained citizenship in the US. I am unsure as to how long the process is in the US but in Canada it is generally 3 years after being a landed immigrant that an individual can obtain citizenship. If it is similar then they would still be fairly recent "immigrants" to the country, would they not?

Kirk Lazarus

• View Profile
you mean U.S. Attorneys?

AUSA?

Justice department?

But I assume you would feel the same way in terms of security concerns for a recent immigrant that recently attained citizenship in the US. I am unsure as to how long the process is in the US but in Canada it is generally 3 years after being a landed immigrant that an individual can obtain citizenship. If it is similar then they would still be fairly recent "immigrants" to the country, would they not?

No. I pretty much concur with your initial response to my post.

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yes, they should be allowed. It's so easy to be a lawyer for the government, even a caveman can do it...

*&^%, worse than a caveman. Monica Goodling could do it.

I don't understand what kind of security concerns there exist. There're hundreds of ways for terrorists to come to this country without becoming a lawyer. Wouldn't it be a little expensive and time-consuming to make a terrorist go to a law school and become a US lawyer?

I do also find the terms used by the OP to be ambiguous. And yes it would most likely be an inefficient way for someone who wanted to wreak havoc to do so by entering the country and immigrating in order to become a government attorney. Nonetheless, people will have their reservations especially with the popularity of "the war on terror" in the media.

Kirk Lazarus

• View Profile

I don't understand what kind of security concerns there exist. There're hundreds of ways for terrorists to come to this country without becoming a lawyer. Wouldn't it be a little expensive and time-consuming to make a terrorist go to a law school and become a US lawyer?

I work for the justice department and I know that the background checks are extensive. I didn't say they SHOULDN'T be allowed to work in the government, I said there might be more of a problem. In general, my point was that qualified people whether or not they are immigrants should be allowed to practice law.