Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Where to go between Santa Clara University and Hastings (I was admitted to Hastings through LEOP)

Santa Clara
 1 (3.8%)
Hastings
 24 (92.3%)
Doesn't matter
 1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Hastings vs. Santa Clara University  (Read 925 times)

misslaw

• View Profile
Hastings vs. Santa Clara University
« on: June 08, 2007, 12:16:45 AM »
Does anyone know anything about Hastings' LEOP program?
angel

jackychan

• Columbia Law 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Hastings vs. Santa Clara University
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 04:47:49 AM »
No doubt Hastings! :)
Columbia Law - Class of 2010!!!

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 02:11:33 AM »
With the information that you've given i definitely say Hastings.

Much larger wingspan than Santa Clara/Much more opportunities. The Leop program will be a good asset i believe. If i understand correctly no one really knows if you're in Leop, nor do they really cares, don't worry about being in Leop. In end it's all about your Class Rank!

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 04:24:01 AM »
Didn't this thread happen already?   :D
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 03:10:04 PM »
Hastings.
2L

LSATnooblet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:46:53 PM »
Hastings by far.

I got into Hastings through LEOP and I have spoken to a number of Hastings students regarding the program. Let me just say this: the ones that are in LEOP couldn't be happier and the ones that didn't get in either a) wish they were a part of it or b) thinks the program gives an unfair advantage to the ones in the program. As one 3L said, if you got into Hastings, you deserve to be there especially since it is very likely that you had to overcome great socio-economic obstacles and have fairly strong numbers to qualify for the program. I had a 3.45/164 along with a strong resume and soft factors so I probably could've gotten into the normal program but I figured why not shoot for the LEOP program if I can get all this additional help and support for FREE? It almost sounded too good to be true. The LEOP program is essentially a mentoring program where a number of 2L and 3L students of Hastings volunteer to help incoming students in a variety of things such as legal writing, case briefing, and outlining. On top of that, on weekends the program offers practice exams that you get feedback on. To boot, we get a 1 week long orientation that non-LEOP students do not get which kickstart us on how to prepare for our first year and a Bar Review course at the end of our 3rd year (although I heard you should still take Barbary on top of it). I was also told that the program consists of the most down-to-earth students and the social network is very strong. To tell you the truth, I did have some reservations about the LEOP program since I did not know much about it but after much research and dialogues with several Hastings students (both LEOP and non-LEOP), it appears that it is a blessing to be in and a program that should be taken advantage of to it's full extent.

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 11:22:45 PM »
Hastings by far.

I got into Hastings through LEOP and I have spoken to a number of Hastings students regarding the program. Let me just say this: the ones that are in LEOP couldn't be happier and the ones that didn't get in either a) wish they were a part of it or b) thinks the program gives an unfair advantage to the ones in the program. As one 3L said, if you got into Hastings, you deserve to be there especially since it is very likely that you had to overcome great socio-economic obstacles and have fairly strong numbers to qualify for the program. I had a 3.45/164 along with a strong resume and soft factors so I probably could've gotten into the normal program but I figured why not shoot for the LEOP program if I can get all this additional help and support for FREE? It almost sounded too good to be true. The LEOP program is essentially a mentoring program where a number of 2L and 3L students of Hastings volunteer to help incoming students in a variety of things such as legal writing, case briefing, and outlining. On top of that, on weekends the program offers practice exams that you get feedback on. To boot, we get a 1 week long orientation that non-LEOP students do not get which kickstart us on how to prepare for our first year and a Bar Review course at the end of our 3rd year (although I heard you should still take Barbary on top of it). I was also told that the program consists of the most down-to-earth students and the social network is very strong. To tell you the truth, I did have some reservations about the LEOP program since I did not know much about it but after much research and dialogues with several Hastings students (both LEOP and non-LEOP), it appears that it is a blessing to be in and a program that should be taken advantage of to it's full extent.

If you don't mind... could you please briefly discuss some of your answers to the LEOP questions.

I was looking through the application, and half the questions i absolutely cannot answer without admissions laughing and ripping up my application. there's maybe one question i can answer and garner any sympathy or understanding or interst. One look at my parents finances, upbringing, etc. and they'd rip my application up and call me a whiny brat...

i was just wondering your situation so that i can ascertain if i should even try, or just let it go, I don't know if it would look bad on me, for trying... that's the biggest thing!

If you don't mind, i completely understand if you don't want to state anything.

Hastings16

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 12:00:32 AM »
oh, word? LEOP sounds like the bomb.

LSATnooblet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 04:31:38 AM »
If you don't mind... could you please briefly discuss some of your answers to the LEOP questions.

I was looking through the application, and half the questions i absolutely cannot answer without admissions laughing and ripping up my application. there's maybe one question i can answer and garner any sympathy or understanding or interst. One look at my parents finances, upbringing, etc. and they'd rip my application up and call me a whiny brat...

i was just wondering your situation so that i can ascertain if i should even try, or just let it go, I don't know if it would look bad on me, for trying... that's the biggest thing!

I'll just share my answer to the first LEOP question which pretty much sums up the sort of environment I grew up in, me being of Asian descent being raised in a neighborhood that was completely alien to me in terms of cultural and racial identity. The rest of my answers were faily brief and straightforward. As for trying for LEOP, I would apply if you honestly believe you have overcome some noteworthy hindrances during your upbringing or academic career that were brought upon you beyond your control. It sure doesn't hurt to try unless it is obvious that you had every opportunity available for you to succeed. Just keep in mind that the LEOP program is fairly selective considering only 20% of the entering class get in and you will be going up against students that have lived much harsher lives and have had to overcome tragic events to get to where they are now. Anyways, here's my answer to question 1:

1. Identify and describe the community(ies) in which you resided from birth to age of college entry.

From my birth till present, I have resided in the same small house in Atwater, California or to the locals, “Frog Town,” a name that the neighborhood gang has adopted. It is a low income, immigrant neighborhood that is situated directly next to the Los Angeles River, a busy train track, and a congested freeway, all of which are less than 100 meters from my house. There is little to no diversity in the neighborhood which is populated almost completely by Latinos. The river is heavily polluted and ill maintained. The river basin is an area that is home to numerous transients and frequented by gang members. Ever since I can remember, my street was bustling with people trying to make a living by selling ice cream, tamales, fresh fruits, and drugs. Graffiti and sneakers thrown over power lines has always been part of the scenery of the neighborhood. 

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 08:49:54 AM »

I'll just share my answer to the first LEOP question which pretty much sums up the sort of environment I grew up in, me being of Asian descent being raised in a neighborhood that was completely alien to me in terms of cultural and racial identity. The rest of my answers were faily brief and straightforward. As for trying for LEOP, I would apply if you honestly believe you have overcome some noteworthy hindrances during your upbringing or academic career that were brought upon you beyond your control. It sure doesn't hurt to try unless it is obvious that you had every opportunity available for you to succeed. Just keep in mind that the LEOP program is fairly selective considering only 20% of the entering class get in and you will be going up against students that have lived much harsher lives and have had to overcome tragic events to get to where they are now. Anyways, here's my answer to question 1:

1. Identify and describe the community(ies) in which you resided from birth to age of college entry.

From my birth till present, I have resided in the same small house in Atwater, California or to the locals, “Frog Town,” a name that the neighborhood gang has adopted. It is a low income, immigrant neighborhood that is situated directly next to the Los Angeles River, a busy train track, and a congested freeway, all of which are less than 100 meters from my house. There is little to no diversity in the neighborhood which is populated almost completely by Latinos. The river is heavily polluted and ill maintained. The river basin is an area that is home to numerous transients and frequented by gang members. Ever since I can remember, my street was bustling with people trying to make a living by selling ice cream, tamales, fresh fruits, and drugs. Graffiti and sneakers thrown over power lines has always been part of the scenery of the neighborhood. 

Thank You. Yeah, I'm just not even gonna apply! The hardships that i've had to overcome,compared to everything, definitely not enough to make a difference!

Congrats on Hastings!